Louisiana SB

cloteal_cast

I'm from Louisiana and am new to throwing the bigger swimbaits (megabass i-slide, R2S, Roman Trick) I was wondering if anyone had any tips for throwing these bigger baits down here in the south. Most of my fishing is done on Toledo Bend and I know the quality of fish is there and feel this is an under utilized technique in the south.

Each body of water can be different but to simplify things throw swimbaits that match the type of patterns people are catching fish on. If they are eating a jig fish a hudd slow on the bottom jerkbait maybe try a glide and so on.

do some reading here, check out tactical bassin website, southern trout eaters, bill murphy's book. there's not a lot of baits that you really need, check out the got em section and you'll quickly learn what baits produce. i dont think we have any other LA guys but there's some texas folks out there who could help you out i'm sure.

learn to not buy into unproven hype, i won't call out any bait makers or umm.. clothes makers? individually but there's a lot of people out there who want to sell you stuff to make you look cool or feel like part of the "community", there's also lots of baits out there that run $100+ with very little track record of success.

As commonly referred too. Look for key features, the spot on the spot. If there is a mainlake point, focus on that one piece of cover on the structure........maybe its a big rock, or tree. Look for pinch points, laydowns, in your area.... hard grass line breaks. Every day and every lake is different but I normally do most my damage in my first few cast to a spot and I recycle my milk run through the day. Never spending too much time at one spot giving fish ample time to see my bait over and over.