Help with questions about my first reel

Chapmaniac

I am looking at the Lexa, Calcutta, and the Revo Beast and I can't decide which one I want so why not ask the best right?! :D

I have narrowed it down to these three from reading the other threads and haven't heard a lot about the beast yet but I have never met a revo i didn't love.

I am going to be throwing anything from deps 175 to 8"hudds to Shellcrackers.

Money is not an issue and if you could recommend a size as well that would be great!

Thanks Everybody!

We could go one for days trying tell you what we prefer man,it's all a preference thing

I'd say the Lexa 300,curado 300,Abu nacl all have solid backgrounds I have had all 3 but I stayed with the Lexas for the most part

This is my take for low profile reels...

If you are partial to ABU and want only one reel then I'd say get the Revo Toro NaCl like Swimbo mentioned but in a 6:3:1 (With that ratio you are in the middle and can slow down or speed up retrieve) The beast only comes in 7:1 as of now which may be hard to slow down dragging soft swimbaits. The beast also has a bit less line capacity than a toro or a Lexa 300.

However, for the price of one Toro you could essentially buy two Lexa 300's and get yourself 2 different ratios.

The Abus are very nice reels and do feel more refined than a lexa (I would expect it to be for the price). The Lexas, are workhorses and a great value and can be made better with a few upgrades.

One last choice is the Daiwa Tatula HD which has similar line capacity as the Beast but has more gear ratio offerings. I have not used this reel but I have used the regular tatula and they are a good value reel. I like the TWing line guide. It seems to help gain a little more distance on casts (it may be jus tin my head but is a cool feature).

Round reels are a whole different animal but also consider that most round reels mainly come in low gear ratios.

that's my 2 cents.

if money doesnt matter I sure wouldnt but a damn Lexa unless your going to do some upgrades. Id be looking at the shimano Conquest series and Daiwa Lunas and Milionaires for round reels. Then hop to the Daiwa Z2020 series or Curado 300. Stock I think its nicer than a lexa stock, even tho its still pretty basic. Daiwa Tatula HD is a new low profile, but the duribility with big baits hasnt had time to prove itself. I would look at the JDM offerings of that reel as a low profile option. Lexa has the most choices for gear ratios but need a few bearing upgrades to be made fishable IMO. its a pretty basic reel, cheaper bearings, bushings on the level wind.... meh. If you can spend up the money Id go JDM all the way. I like the 300 size for the smaller baits you listed. COnquest/calcutta 300, Luna/millionaire 253, low profiles theres not too many size options... the Revo toro series has 50 and 60 and is also a top choice in the low pro catagory... just not as refined as the JDM stuff