Braid

Moleman

Hey so i've been thinking a lot about braid, mainly because its like the only line i used on conventional tackle. I figured (before i started swim baiting) i would use it for swim baiting then i saw the price tag on baits and the terrible break off stories. But now I am coming back to the topic, I know what braid I like to use but rather thats not in question. i'm asking you guys what baits or styles of baits do you like to use braid with or why not.

Personally, I do not like braid because Ive had too many breakoffs due to backlashes and bad spots in my line that I was not aware of. I know a lot of guys prefer braid and have had great success with it. I like to stick with 17-30lb mono (depending on what I'm throwing and what setup I'm throwing it on). I like mono because of its stretch and that it's a little more low profile in the water. Ive only had three breakoffs with mono and that's because I was lazy and didn't retie. Luckily they were cheaper swimbaits. Since then, I CONSTANTLY retie. With braid, Ive also bent out hooks because I tend to really hammer down on the fish once its hooked. Braid doesn't work well for me. But hey, thats just me. I would just experiment with lines and see what you like. Thats really the only way to tell.

i use braid on all my baits and set ups.

its just what im used to and i havent used mono or fluro in 10 plus years. Im coming from the surfcasting side so braid is the norm.

i run 50lb pp on all my reels, pluton, lexa, calcuttas, etc

i then add a 4 foot leader of 25 or 30lb momoi leader material to it.

i havent seen any diffrence in bites or lack there of compared to my buddies fishing mono.

my only issue is when the reels are over filled. I so i just make sure i leave some gap on the spool and adjust the reel accordingly.

with 50lb it doesnt tend to snap as much as just get messy, but its still fixable.

after a few trips, and depending on how much use each reels sees, ill strip off the length of line where my finger holds the spool, or if i notice the braid looks lighter in color.

im throwing baits from 1oz to 13oz with braid.

everyone has what works, thats what im comfortable with so I stick with it

I think most guys go way to light with braid and that's where you hear about problems with cast offs. I personally wouldn't use less than 65 on any bait that required a dedicated swimbait rod. On a big bait rod an xxh I use 100 and can't think of a reason to go lighter.

I do lose confidence with braid when water is clear while fishing slow subsurface baits but I'm mostly fishing top water baits this last couple years anyway.

I think most guys go way to light with braid and that's where you hear about problems with cast offs. I personally wouldn't use less than 65 on any bait that required a dedicated swimbait rod. On a big bait rod an xxh I use 100 and can't think of a reason to go lighter.

This.

I use 60lb braid for baits 3oz or less and 100lb for larger baits along with an appropriate sized Fluoro leader. Don't go too light and you will be fine. Your leader is what the fish are going to see so don't worry about the braid. I have been using hi vis yellow braid and it helps me to keep track of where my bait is and I don't feel that I lose bites even though the waters I fish in are quite clear.