My first DD

lphud6

• 1 month later...

Congrats on that fish Luke.  I have to agree with Mike that it is weird how they were such similar size AND they both have a maxillary marking.  But IMO, those marks look pretty different between the two fish.  If you look at photos of Dottie, her mark doesn't really look like it changes location between pictures like it does here.  Sorry that you are dealing with all this backlash.  You caught a huge personal best out of a ridiculously pressured lake and that's freaking awesome.

• 10 months later...

Congradulations man. I think all this  is stupid what people r saying. Even if it was that fish that died, it isnt your fault. If it was say a 5, it probably was bc it is kind of young, but sometimes those giants r gonna die no matter if it it unhooked and realesed w/o a picture. It lived  a good life and waas really old. Don't worry and great work.

Congrats on your DD. What makes me a bit sick is when I watch all the big bass tournaments on t.v., and, half the fish that are caught are "Swung" into the baot. That's all well and fine except when they "bounce" off the side of the boat, console, or, whatever in the boat. I use to fish tournaments also, but, never did I bounce the bass off the boat, or, flop/drop them into the boat. The bass will always be there if we do everything we can to keep them healthy & free.

Congrats on your DD. What makes me a bit sick is when I watch all the big bass tournaments on t.v., and, half the fish that are caught are "Swung" into the baot. That's all well and fine except when they "bounce" off the side of the boat, console, or, whatever in the boat. I use to fish tournaments also, but, never did I bounce the bass off the boat, or, flop/drop them into the boat. The bass will always be there if we do everything we can to keep them healthy & free.

I agree,, unfortunately BASS doesn't allow the use of a net like a lot of the other circuits, too bad they aren't more pro-fish life in that regard.

Also,, I'd like to congratulate on the DD, awesome fish! I don't believe it's the same fish from looking at the pics, and the details brought up. Fish don't decompose that quick, overnight like that, not to the point of stench anyways. Out here at Clear Lake we have the most prolific fish die offs I've heard of, seems like they'll float around for weeks or longer before getting to that point, and it's pretty warm, sometimes surface temps in the 90s.

At any rate, if you fish hard long enough, you will unfortunately encounter the situation of a fish dying on you. The key is, is to minimize harm as much as possible, some key points were brought up in this forum to do so. I've had a couple die on me, and it sucked bad, namely my pb of 15.8#, we attempted everything we could think of, but back in 97' when I caught her there just wasn't the info and technology of today to help out. I've certainly learned a lot along the way to get them fish back on their way as unaffected as possible.

Hey Man congrats on a monster fish! No one can say for sure if that is the same fish or not and it really doesn't matter. Just do the best you can to release them unharmed and learn a little with each fish you release. A year is a hell of a long time to keep grinding with nothing to show for it. Enjoy the moment because you deserve it.

Sorry I would not be that guy to post a pic on a public forum claiming some guy's c&r died...If it is that fish, you are just making the guy feel even more horrible and humiliated. I certainly would have pmed the guy to let him know and deal with it that way...Guy even used a rubber net, which I consider to be the #1 way to protect and hold your catch between pics....Fish die sometimes and have heart attacks etc. just happens.....BTW, another good livewell additive is hydrogen peroxide, Doug Hannon promoted its use before his death, and I use it all of the time. 

• 4 weeks later...