Portable fish finder?

nickh87

Im looking for a portable fish finder setup, ideally something I can take on friends boats/rentals and my float tube. I've seen a few companies that have their own pack(Humminbird and Lowrance), I was just wondering if anyone knew of or is using a good setup other than those. Would it be worth it to just get a bundle (finder+bag/battery+transducer [Or even just get the bundle and switch out the finder with a better one]), or to try and make my own setup w/ battery and cables?

I got the Hummingbird 160cc I think?, its good for what I need it for, depth, structure and temperature, its simple and easy to read w a color screen, nothing fancy, NO CHORDS OR WIRES, that's the best feature... downfall is it chews through batteries... 6AA for about 8-10 hours of time, I need to look into rechargeables, but all in it was pretty good, got it at the end of the season for my crawdad... id pick one up on ebay, they are the cheapest on there, id recommend for what you described you need it for

I have a Lowrance elite 7 for my kayak and i use ram mounts and a water proof box for my battery and I bring it onto friends boats with me as a trolling motor mounted transducer. Theres a bunch of info online if you like up kayak battery boxes/fishfinder.

Humminbird 110, 120, or 140c will be perfect for you. No wires or transducer mounting you need to worry about. Just add batteries and clamp it down and turn it on. I think the 120 is the best bang for the buck out of the 3. Definitely look into it if your in the market for a portable ff.

Thanks for all your input guys, I ordered a Humminbird Piranhamax 197c portable from basspro for $160 (the new one for 2015). I'll look into getting the Fishin' buddy series if I'm not satisfied with what I got. I do like that no wire setup and the float tube sleeve accessory for the fishin buddy, maybe I'll get one around spring when I take out the tube more.

• 2 weeks later...