Handling big fish

ArizonaToadS

Please dont take better care for your swims than that big bass.... hold up their bellies with your other hand... you really mess up their jaw when you hold them only by the lip. Thank you and remember the best swimming bait is the fresh water bass.

I totally understand what you are saying, especially with the real big fish.

Let me play devil's advocate here though...What about the trebles and other hooks to the mouth, face, throat, and gullet? The occasional removed eyeball? Where do we draw the line? I have had people b*%ch at me because I laid a fish in dirt. Yes, I know fish have a protective slime coating, really, I do. On the other hand, bass are the heartiest game fish in the country. They got that way because they can adapt and survive. In all my years I have never seen a fish go belly up or seen die-offs because of laying fish in dirt. Maybe the fish in the small lakes I fish are heartier, I don't know, as I am not a fisheries biologist. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to hurt any fish. And yes, I practice catch and release. Except with legal halibut.

I totally understand what you are saying, especially with the real big fish.

Let me play devil's advocate here though...What about the trebles and other hooks to the mouth, face, throat, and gullet? The occasional removed eyeball? Where do we draw the line? I have had people b*%ch at me because I laid a fish in dirt. Yes, I know fish have a protective slime coating, really, I do. On the other hand, bass are the heartiest game fish in the country. They got that way because they can adapt and survive. In all my years I have never seen a fish go belly up or seen die-offs because of laying fish in dirt. Maybe the fish in the small lakes I fish are heartier, I don't know, as I am not a fisheries biologist. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to hurt any fish. And yes, I practice catch and release. Except with legal halibut.

Kinda going off the dirt/ground thing..I'm not sticking my hand in the mouth of a spastic bass that has a 6oz bait in its mouth and the sharpest/strongest trebles

Being a former guide and dealing with many different people and a lot of big fish. I have seen the most damage done by people supporting the belly. They hold the fish by the jaw and the fish starts to flop and the body drops. Least amount of damage done by just holding the side of the jaw and not using it as a lever and keeping the other hand ready to steady or support the fish incase it is able to shake.

Also, same as with how we handle the unhooking of our precious Muskies, hooks are cheap, if it looks like it gonna tear mad flesh when you pull a treble, or stuck in a gill or eyeball, keep a pair of bull nose on ya cut the hook. Could be the difference between a future DD and a floater.

Also, same as with how we handle the unhooking of our precious Muskies, hooks are cheap, if it looks like it gonna tear mad flesh when you pull a treble, or stuck in a gill or eyeball, keep a pair of bull nose on ya cut the hook. Could be the difference between a future DD and a floater.

I keep these boys with me anytime I'm fishing. Inexpensive and will cut any hook you have like butter. Should be available at most any hardware store

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... la_5886592

I think more bass have been harmed from inadequate live wells than sitting on the dirt. Most pond pounders only have the bass out of the water for a short period of time. I can only imagine what it's like for a bass to be carted around in a sub par live well all day then released by the boat dock. I'm sure not every boater has a tip top shape live well.

I keep these boys with me anytime I'm fishing. Inexpensive and will cut any hook you have like butter. Should be available at most any hardware store

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... la_5886592

A

what cool tool I'm about get one for fishing and one for work good looking out!

Since we are on the subject of fish handling, how about carrying a landing net even when shore pounding. Makes it way easier to land a fish. You dont have to bounce it on dirt, rock, gravel, cement, etc. and it serves as a livewell between pictures and weighing.

Not to mention the fact that a bass can chip/crack baits if they are flopping on rocks.

I think more bass have been harmed from inadequate live wells than sitting on the dirt. Most pond pounders only have the bass out of the water for a short period of time. I can only imagine what it's like for a bass to be carted around in a sub par live well all day then released by the boat dock. I'm sure not every boater has a tip top shape live well.

+1. I've been at a couple of tournaments where people have wieghed in dead fish due to bad livewells and having a fish in there for 7 hours. Not to mention everything they throw up in the livewell during that time