Alternative Mother Rod

gradycodd

Whats everyone who doesn't have the time or money to get an XXH ldc using to huck there Moms? Is there a rod out there for a reasonable tag with the proper backbone? Ive been told the 908 is a no no, but if anyone begs to differ please let me know. Would like to find a rod that isn't gong to make me wait til next winter to throw.

Sorry if this has been covered.

The search Mother rod alternatives yielded no results

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either last chance or whopper stopper custom rods. Whopper stopper quoted me 350ish for the build I wanted and 3 weeks, build it on the phenix black diamond hybrid 809xh or 869xh. Same as ldc XXH

get a black diamond hybrid 869 custom wrapped...hit up Anthony from Last Chance Tackle...they do custom wraps and i think he said for a basic build, it's around $275 starting and takes about a month

Don you ever throw mother on the 869?

And usually a mother weighs over 12 oz btw

get a black diamond hybrid 869 custom wrapped...hit up Anthony from Last Chance Tackle...they do custom wraps and i think he said for a basic build, it's around $275 starting and takes about a month

Don you ever throw mother on the 869?

And usually a mother weighs over 12 oz btw

Ohhh....thought they were 10.5oz.

So ur looking for a cheap rod to throw ur 400 bait? Hmmm... that kinda baffles me

No. Allow me to refine what I am here for, Im looking for a reasonably priced and readily available rod to throw a bait i traded a mag and a 250 for, I don't want a cheap rod, I want an alternative to the ldc xxh. Please don't be too baffled that a college student isn't looking to spend 400+ on another rod.

RODS:

There are 3 major considerations I look for when purchasing a rod:

1. Length - Casting heavy baits without the proper equipment is inefficient and can be fatiguing. With the right rod length and handle arrangement you can and will be able to cast big baits further, and for a longer period of time. Also the extra length helps greatly on hooksets, especially those far away from the boat as the extra length will pick up a lot more slack and provide more leverage on the fish.

2. Action - Along with length, action plays a crucial part in casting heavy baits for long periods of time. The rod should load up properly, and not be overwhelmed by the lure weight, resulting in efficient casting. I prefer fast action rods for the majority of my fishing.

3. Power - The final consideration is power. This is important because these lures are big and heavy; and you will need a rod that will have enought power to move these baits once a fish strikes, in order to achieve a good hookset. They cannot simply be bogged down by the weight of the lure or of the fish at the initial hookset. (This is one area where I believe musky rods are well ahead of bass rods) Also when that trophy strikes you need confidence in your blank that you can put pressure on the fish rather than letting it overpower you.

"Taking these considerations into account, and after trying just about every major manufacturer of fishing rods out there, I personally use St. Croix. I purchased my first one more than 12 years ago, and while I experiemented with pretty much every other major rod manufacturerer since then, I keep returning to St. Croix rods as they are simply the best tools for my needs.

For the largest of baits (this is what I throw the El Grande, Cisco, other large yet to be released baits, and occasionally the 11" trout with) I have found that the Legend Tournament 8'6" Big Dawg (Model # TMXHF86) rod to be supperior above all else. It is rated for up to 10oz. lures but can handle baits up to 16 oz. with ease. This rod was geared towards musky fisherman to keep up with the growing trend of throwing large 15-17 oz. rubber baits (one of which is called a bull dawg). This rod has it all, the right action to load correctly with a large bait and more than enough power to adequately set the hook and land a fish of a lifetime. This particular rod is expensive however, it does its job better than anything else, carries a lifetime warrently, and is made here in the U.S.A; so justifying this rod isnt too difficult."

Taken from the Nates Baits website. If you want something cheaper and readily available that can handle big baits, musky rods would probably be my first bet. G Loomis, Shimano, and St. Croix all make them. Check out muskyshop.com or thornebros