How big is too big? Whats the biggest bait you are man enough to throw?

MattyIce

Sup Guys!

Just wondering whats your opinion on big baits. Is their such a thing as too big (Insert Joke here)? I know there are some big baits out right now. Whats the biggest you have thrown and what was it? How big of a bait would you be willing to throw?

This can be glide or multi segmented baits and the target is Bass. 

had the opportunity to hang out for a while at Clearlake Bait and Tackle with Jimmy (who's a very cool guy to talk fishing with), and he showed me some pictures of a glide that made the 250 look dinky.  Obviously, Matty, I was thinking about that while reading your post from yesterday and checking out your glides (which look great, btw). 

So it seems like the glide bait thing has us trending in a bigger and bigger direction here. 

With the right gear to throw it, I'd lay 16 inches of wood out there!

Yeah man I figured you must have a connection there.  In all seriousness, as a bait maker, I think you've got a solid retail market for anything up to 12 now that the 250 has proven itself in such a public way.  From a psyche standpoint, you might do well to keep the weight under a pound when possible. 

The most important thing when chucking the giant baits, is have the proper rod to handle it. Broomsticks. If largemouth fishing, I would have a hard time seeing anything bigger than 13" being necessary. Depending on the style of bait and your lake or state regulations, some of the biggest baits are meant to be trolled only. Lot's of giant muskie baits are like this.

The most important thing when chucking the giant baits, is have the proper rod to handle it. Broomsticks. If largemouth fishing, I would have a hard time seeing anything bigger than 13" being necessary. Depending on the style of bait and your lake or state regulations, some of the biggest baits are meant to be trolled only. Lot's of giant muskie baits are like this.

Yes but then again 10 years ago a Hud was considered a giant bait and tackle had to be beefed up to throw it. I doubt anything over a hud is necessary but could it be the key to catching that 25+ pound giant thats lurking out there? Will a giant bait catch a fish that a hud size bait will not entice? I think its food for thought! 

You have to think realistically. I think the Mother is a very very big bait, as is a 250, same with a hudd or mag. Throwing a Mother typically limits the class of fish you're going to catch, so going beyond that really gets rid of a large grouping of fish. Personally i don't believe the size of the bait helps you catch that "25lb" bass, has a lot more to do than just the size. 

I wouldn't go past a Mother in size.

Yes big baits may be used to weed out the rats (not always). But there is more to a bait than how large it is. I believe more in the mechanics of a bait. Baits like the 8" hudd get it done, and the bait isn't giant. I feel like more people throw the giant baits just to say they are throwing giant baits. 

I use to think that a 6in shadalicious plastic swimbait was a big bait for my state of Indiana. Now that

I've stepped out of the comfort zone of conventional baits and started throwing bigger I'm not sure where you would draw the line. Considering you have the right equipment, is there really any bait to big? I have had bass under 10 or 12 inches strike at 8 to 9 inch baits. I've also caught a bluegill on a spro bbz1!

Who will determine the size limit? I say the fish will try to eat anything given the chance.