Roman Made

Infidel

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

400 bucks for a Swim bait!!! No thanks I will stick with the 3:16 tried and tested.

Just a heads up I have been told that the Roman Made lures are awesome looking and good collector baits but they don't alway run true especially after a few good hits.

I know a few guys that have thrown them recently with the BB crew.

I didn't spend $400 but I wouldn't knock anyone that does it. A 12†Roman Made Mother Triple is $415. Their smaller baits are much less expensive. You say that you would buy a 3:16 instead? Well think about this. An 8†Freestyle Trout is $130, someone on here just posted that the 10†was $250. That is over a 90% increase in price for 2 more inches of bait. If the pricing structure follows that, a 12†Freestyle would cost $475. I can’t say that this is how much 3:16 would charge but I wouldn’t be surprised by it.

I bought a 7.5†Lipless Trick that cost $85. I was going to pay that same price for a 6†Freestyle but after setting aside time in my life to be able to buy one I still missed out. As a matter of fact I have missed out on every release for about a year now and it is not from lack of trying. Maybe God just doesn’t want me to be able to buy one at retail. So I’m not saying that these baits are better than a Freestyle because I’ve never been able to fish a Freestyle. What I will say is that it has a unique action and I like it. It sinks VERY slow which is great for someone like myself who spends most of my time fishing from shore. The body motion is similar to a Triple-Trout but the tail section is buoyant so it creates a great little wiggle that I haven't seen in other baits. I don't have any vested interest in Roman Made Baits so I don't care what you buy. In fact I would rather there be an original American bait maker who could keep up with the maket demand other than MS and 22nd Century but there isn't. Roman Made offers a good looking bait that was available at an honest price so I wanted to let others know.

When it comes to what friends of your friends have said about them, I’d rather find out for myself. I’ve had people tell me not to waste my money on a Wake Jr. and just stick to MS Slammers and AC Minnows. Well I didn’t listen then and I am glad I didn’t.

All this JUST to point out that you didn't get a freestyle and instead bought a Roman Made?

Well let me be the first to wish you the best ! Hope you smoke em on the thing man! I'M sure you'll have a great time with the new bait. Now lets give it a rest.

I was just bored in a hotel and had finger diarrhea. I wasn’t meaning to complain Mickey. Thank you for the well wishes.

Well there are a handfull of Roman Made baits available from a popular etailer. Hated to buy a Japanese made bait but I've been trying all year to get a free style at MSRP and have failed. :|

Which freestyle are you looking for?

I would love to get my hands on any of the freestyles less than 10â€. I sold and gave away the two rods that I used to own which could have handled a 10†because I didn’t think I would need them when I moved to Oklahoma. I’m kicking myself now.

I write outdoors articles for a lot of different websites and magazines from time to time and the gentle men I speak of who have thrown the Roman Made are not just your average Joe's. These guys fish for a living and they love the bait but said to me specifically that if the bait gets it hard to many times it will run untrue.

I am not bias to 3:16, hell I can't ever get a Bluegill SS or even a return email from them on availability. But they have a product that works great. It's a good bait that stands the test of time. As far as their distribution strategy goes, it's not fair or bias. You see guys on here unloading them all day to make money and you or I can't get a single one. You have to be one of the boy's to get in on when the next release is.

Regardless their product is built well, so well I am willing to continue the rat race until someone will sell me one. It is frustrating but they have one of the best if not the best swim baits on the market. If you want to spend 400 dollars on a Roman Made bait go ahead but I was just trying to warn you about them coming untuned.

I hope I have not offended anyone but what I have stated is from my own personal experience.

I guessing that is a pot shot at me. " This is why I love writers". I apologize if I spent time and money educating myself. I also apologize if I have a passion for the outdoors and like to write about it.

I made fair statements purely from my experience. I really think 3:16 as a superior product but their distribution is lacking and only effects their reputation not mine.

It is easy to sit behind a computer in a dark room and make snide comments. I thought I made valid points and respected everyone involved. I apologize if I in anyway offended you sensitive nature it was not my intent. Sometimes I forget my audience and whom I might effect by making a statement. Next time I will reframe from stating my opinion and just draw a picture for you instead.

Hi all,

this is my first post here so take it easy with me...

I do have a few roman made baits which i bought from Japan.. The trick and negotiator...I have to say they have very nice action to them.

First of all, a bit about my SB fishing... ALL the swimbaits i own are of Japanese brands, consists mostly of Deps, some Fisharrows, Megabass, Jackall and of course Roman Made. I do realise there might be certain element of bias given i do not have any US baits (thats what this discussion is about right?) I do not live in USA and there is no large mouth bass where i live. But what i do have in abundance is barramundi (a biggish salt waater fish, goggle for pics) and i have caught them on SBs ( up to 20lbs)

The roman mades have held up well. I thought they were better made than the fisharrows, as the joints don't come undone after a few fishes. The finishes well, held up as well as any wooden bait that comes into contact with trebles.

I use braid connected to a fluoro leader via a PR knot so that could explain the failure of the fisharrows but thats for another topic.

Whether it is worth is the price is an immensely personal choice. Some of us buy to collect due to the beautiful paint jobs (I Know i do), some buy to use. I do not feel that one can be wrong standing on either side of the argument.

All points made can be nullified as I have not had the luxury of using US made baits, but that is something I am looking forward to changing.

Thanks

BIO

Or he could have been applauding you for a well written response. This is just one of the drawbacks to forums. Studies have shown that the majority of communication is non-verbal and yet you lose all of those non verbal cues in these boards. It can be hard to tell if someone is being smartass.