SU Community support request - transaction w/That1Bass

sansai_udon

I know we have a postings on folks that are to be voided, however we should have a banner or link that simply has a "MOST WANTED" and list of their name/handle paypal etc.  So that when someone does post a trade/sell we can click or look at the banner (with the above info) minus the comments to keep it streamlined.

Or, X amount of community votes plus one (or 2, unsure how many there are) moderator approval, and their IP gets banned. Trim the fat. Cut the BS.

with the number of devices people have and use from various locations, it's almost impossible to completely stop someone from accessing a site based on IP alone.

Edit, read a little closer. I agree that it is impossible, but we could make it more difficult instead of watching it happen. I have 6 devices with different IPs that I can easily access SU from, if I were so inclined. That would be a high average, but even assuming that, do we have so many garbage members that it's difficult to ban, what, 36 IPs?

The problem members are obvious when they pop up, and if you cut off their main avenues of access, they are less likely to continue ripping us off.

Sure, they can get around it. But they'll probably just go scam elsewhere. Eliminating problem members seems like it should be addressed, now that real money is involved. But not trying to stir the pot, just don't like seeing good people get burned over and over.

Edited by hydrocephalic

Banning IPs would keep the "honest" people honest.

Locking your car doesn't stop the hard core car thieves...but it stops the people roaming the neighborhood looking for an easy pick.

I think banning IPs would significantly reduce the people who try scamming because it seems easy, or have a momentary lapse in judgement like we see when people immediately send the bait and post that they are sorry.  Hard core scammers will still find their way through but this might cut down on the BS.

Banning IP addresses is almost impossible, and even if we did it wouldn't stop scammers there are just to many ways someone can access an account and go to scamming... But if they made a list of people banned for scamming and they say what baits they scammed people on that would be really cool. Also new members should have at least ten posts to be able to go to the black market.

Edited by JTSwimbaitMan

Banning IP addresses is almost impossible, and even if we did it wouldn't stop scammers there are just to many ways someone can access an account and go to scamming... But if they made a list of people banned for scamming and they say what baits they scammed people on that would be really cool. Also new members should have at least ten posts to be able to go to the black market.

I've assisted with multiple sites years ago, and blocking an IP really was not difficult. Surely not "almost impossible." It serves as a deterrent, just like any other security system.

It's like door locks on a car. Any determined thief can easily smash your window and take whatever they like, yet I bet all of us still lock our doors.

Maybe add a "Warning" button on the profiles.  Similar to "Likes" button.  So if we have an issue this can be toggled and the more warnings the more cautious..  Just throwing it out there, seems like we are all on the same page as to making sure we take care of our forum :mrgreen:

Maybe add a "Warning" button on the profiles.  Similar to "Likes" button.  So if we have an issue this can be toggled and the more warnings the more cautious..  Just throwing it out there, seems like we are all on the same page as to making sure we take care of our forum :mrgreen:

there is already this function from what i read in the thread about the new layout...not sure everyone can see it though

Members and IP addresses are blocked here on a regular basis, people that want to rip others off will get around it. All we can do as a community is keep an eye for each other and DO NOT PAY AS A GIFT.

Maybe add a "Warning" button on the profiles. Similar to "Likes" button. So if we have an issue this can be toggled and the more warnings the more cautious.. Just throwing it out there, seems like we are all on the same page as to making sure we take care of our forum :mrgreen:

Yes there is a warning system in place, there is also a "report" function that some members use in cases like this. All reports are looked into.

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone has information on That1Bass. I sent him $ (via PayPal gift -

Stopped reading after that. Not to be that guy but why would you ever, ever pay for a product from someone you've never met with funds via gift. Experience is the best teacher though and a costly mistake like this will only make you wiser. 

Edited by TheGoodCat

Another site I'm on stipulates that members don't use paypal gift for purchases.  If I'm dealing with someone I don't know I use paypal "goods and services" AND use the credit card I have linked to PP as opposed to my regular account.  That gives me two avenues of recourse if the transaction goes bad.  Why people advertise for "gift or pay the fees" as opposed to just adding the 3% to the asking price is beyond me.