Kayaks

Sam_Glasgow_

I used the Tarpon 120 for the last few years before upgrading to a Hobie this winter. They're great. Look for deals; I got mine at EMS when they were running a 30% off sale. As far as a box for storage just mount pvc pipes or plastic rod holders on a milk crate and you're good to go.

• 2 months later...

anyone got an idea on what the cheapest stand-up friendly kayak might be?

Look for used.  Could run you $800 or more for a new one...but if you pay attention to sales you may find a cheap one

I have a wilderness system 115x.  I have a helix 5 fish finder a;sp (soon to be upgraded) and am able to stand and land fish while standing.  It's very stable... as everyone said previously search craigslist or even facebook groups.  May find someone who needs to get rid of the yak quickly and catch a deal

Edited by andrewbee

• 2 months later...

I have been fishing out of an Ocean Kayak Caper for 10 years now, same kayak, same seat, same old busted technology.  The only think I do not like is the seat. 10 years ago I wasn't bothered too much with lower back pain from sitting on a 1/2" piece of nylon covered foam. Now after a couple hours I find myself moving and adjusting.

I do not have a fancy storage box or even a milk crate for that matter. No fish finder. I ordered the high back seat with storage pouch and rod holders as my extras.  Other then that I spray painted the tip to tell it apart from my fathers.  Love this thing!!!  I've fished out of it everywhere from small vineyard irrigation ponds to the large over populated lakes to paddling out a few miles in the ocean.  

If/when i upgrade I will be going to a pedal drive system like the Hobies.  I've spent enough time trying to paddle one handed while trying to retrieve a lure or re-position for a perfect cast. Where with the pedal drive you're hands are free to do as they please(hold your rod while sipping your favorite frosty beverage) without the fumbling over a paddle.

check out www.centralcoastkayakfishing.com there is a ton of info on there for any questions/concerns you might have

anyone got an idea on what the cheapest stand-up friendly kayak might be?

I was able to get a Feel Free Moken 12.5 for less than $600. It was a demo model and there was an end of year sale to clear out all older models, so it was priced down pretty good.

It has a standing platform on it and is advertised that you are able to stand and fish in it. Ive seen quite a few youtubers standing in them as well. Me personally I have only stood up in it once and it seemed a little sketchy, but I think with practice its something that can be done. Ive been pretty comfortable sitting and fishing out of it though.

I will probably do a review of the Moken 12.5 soon to show how I have it rigged.

Edited by biggfeast

1) Get a kayak that is stable enough to stand on comfortably.

2) If you are on a budget, your first kayak should be a used one. They may get scratches but a used one has just as much utility as a new one and they cost less.

3) Search Craigslist and any local fishing forums for used yaks.

4) Build a box with rod holders yourself instead of buying one. Start with a milk crate and add what you need. You can see how I built mine here:  https://youtu.be/c03LC6K0Im0

I recommend looking for a used Wilderness Systems Ride 115. Great yak, small enough to move easily and you can stand up and dance the macarena if you are feeling frisky. 

If you aren't going to be covering lots of water ie "..fishing big lakes, ponds nothing major" then my suggestion would be to go for a pontoon kick boat. Traveling big distances is a bit of a pain (unless you add a sneaker/trolling motor) but the control you have while actually fishing is unmatched.

I have a beautiful wooden canoe and a kickboat and am sad to say the canoe hasn't got wet in almot 3 years now. The kickboats are in the water weekly.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a feelfree lure 11.5 this summer and I really like it. It's the first kayak I've owned so it took me a few outing to figure it out and getting use to things. That primarily being fishing from standing up. But like anything the more you do it the easier and more natural it becomes. I'm still skeptical om taking it out on days where it's super windy just because I hate paddling into the wind. Also be sure to get your a pfd that is comfortable and the you will like.

• 1 year later...

Ive owned a native Magic 14.5.

Great boat hard to find. Good blend of speed and stability. Heavy boat though.

Currently fish a Native ultimate 14.5 and its perfect. I can stand as much as I want and the seat is like a lawn chair.

+1 for Native. I currently have an Ultimate FX 15 Tandem, which is fantastic in both tandem and solo modes. I can stand up with ease by myself and with caution with a kiddo in there.

My next purchase will be a Native Slayer Propel 13 for solo trips.

I own a couple of kayaks but I much prefer the 12' Sportspal square stern I recently picked up.  The boat itself weighs only 46 pounds so its super easy to transport and launch.  With a small electric I can easily stand, maneuver, and cast.  The boat is extremely stable while standing.  In any kind of wind I truly believe I catch many more fish with this setup than I can with a paddled kayak where I'm fighting to stay in position.  I found this on Craigslist and the boat, motor and battery only ran me $600.

post-21326-0-12730800-1478839334_thumb.jpg

I own a couple of kayaks but I much prefer the 12' Sportspal square stern I recently picked up.  The boat itself weighs only 46 pounds so its super easy to transport and launch.  With a small electric I can easily stand, maneuver, and cast.  The boat is extremely stable while standing.  In any kind of wind I truly believe I catch many more fish with this setup than I can with a paddled kayak where I'm fighting to stay in position.  I found this on Craigslist and the boat, motor and battery only ran me $600.

Nice looking boat! I have a 14' Sportspal, it's very stable I rarely sit. I have a trolling motor but also use a long paddle like a SUP. Bought off CL used, great investment.