line for hudds

bassturds

If you're using braid, you've got to remember this - pick the braid size that approximately matches the diameter of the mono you would have been using - then you'll have fewer problems with it digging in.  Yes, you can get 30# braid and load a ton of it on your spool (way more than 30# mono), but that small diameter is going to cause a problem when you cast and even more so when you put tension on the line (say on a hook set, or if you get snagged).  As others have said, typical braid sizes for swimbait use are at least 50# - I think the most common size I've heard is #65, and #80 isn't necessarily overkill.  Most of the fish you catch are not going to be big enough to break your line (some might be), but you want the abrasion and shock resistance - you don't have the stretch you get with mono.

Try 25 - 30 lb mono. It's universal. You can fish topwaters, middle water column baits and drag the bottom. I like p line and izorline. I know what you're going through.

braid is a little more prone to cast-offs. I currently have 25lb big game spooled up but i think i'm going to switch to a good 25lb flouro. I my ROF 5 doesn't quite get as deep as i want it. plus, being in Southern California, the big girls are pretty line shy.