Losing swimbaits > Losing fish

timcauliffe

This has been the worst year so far for me me and I've come to the conclusion that losing a swimsuit whether it be on a cast-off or getting stuck is more worse of a feeling of losing a fish. I've lost a total of (4) swimbaits since February including 2 Hudds and 2 Savage Gears. Not overly expensive baits, but the fact that I've had a tough financial situation this year and my baits are slowly dwindling, is making me lose confidence in swimbait fishing.

If it makes you feel better I've casted off a couple of og deps 250. 1 biwa, 1 flash carp (this before the new ones and when they were scarce), and not counting the other ones that have caught plenty of fish. Everytime I lose one it takes a little time to get another or close. Not the riches person here as well, but as what everyone else might bring out you gotta pay to play in the swimbait world. I guess once I get that dd I can call it quits

Edited by slideaction

Losing baits sucks we can all agree but man losing a big fish I think is worst, because so much effort is exhausted to hunt for the type of fish you are after and I'm talking about the kind you will be proud off holding or taking a pic. some people travel 1hr, 2 hrs and some even 3hrs to catch a nice fish, and when you finally hook into one and you lose it at the boat and it was your only chance that day that trip home has those thoughts of what if and damn why did I lose that fish. It's all part of the game with the good and the bad. Keep at it and you will be rewarded.

Losing baits sucks we can all agree but man losing a big fish I think is worst, because so much effort is exhausted to hunt for the type of fish you are after and I'm talking about the kind you will be proud off holding or taking a pic. some people travel 1hr, 2 hrs and some even 3hrs to catch a nice fish, and when you finally hook into one and you lose it at the boat and it was your only chance that day that trip home has those thoughts of what if and damn why did I lose that fish. It's all part of the game with the good and the bad. Keep at it and you will be rewarded.

+1

I've lost a few 316 hard baits and Gan Crafts and every time it ruins my day but last year I lost a for sure DD and a year later it still haunts me till this day... I can save up for some time to buy another bait, but who knows when/if I'll hook up on a DD. hopefully it happens sooner than later

This has been the worst year so far for me me and I've come to the conclusion that losing a swimsuit whether it be on a cast-off or getting stuck is more worse of a feeling of losing a fish. I've lost a total of (4) swimbaits since February including 2 Hudds and 2 Savage Gears. Not overly expensive baits, but the fact that I've had a tough financial situation this year and my baits are slowly dwindling, is making me lose confidence in swimbait fishing.

It sucks........your original post said losing (swimsuits).....it made me chuckle.

I fish a lake with lots of submerged rocks and trees so I lose 1-2 baits every time out. When I lose a bait, it's not a huge deal to me but when I lose a big fish, it haunts me for weeks. I still remember almost every big fish that I have lost and how/where it happened.

I snapped off my Mattlures Trout Glide on my last trip, First bait ever snapping off on me.  Thank god it's a floater.  I was cranking the boat toward it as fast as I can before a bass came up and smashed it.  I got it back

I could not agree more - 100%+1

Im well over 1000$ lost this year Ive learned to not let it bother me anymore my kids alone teaching them swimbaits have easily lost 700$ just in the last week alone( my 14 year old is super stubborn), but the big fish I lost 8 years back on a triple trout I still lose sleep over it I literally think about it everytime I hit the water

Edited by JeremyW

When i lose a bait I get over it in about 5 minutes.  It is life, you can generally always replace a bait.  when I lose a really big fish... especially if I haven't seen it to be able to guess its size, it keeps me awake that night haha.  It is literally all I can think about.  In fact, I often think back to a fish that I had follow a hudd in 2.5 years ago, he didn't even hit it, just followed...