What's the hot knot?

BigSlant

You should use the Palomar or SDJ for mono and the SGJ for braid!! Palomar is really not a good knot for braid!!

I would venture to say a palomar is not a good knot period. The line makes no difference since you shouldn't use it. But for knots its a SDJ or Uni. Lately though I have been using pretty much all Uni. Lots of fishing at night and the Uni is great since you never loose the line or the hole it needs to go through.

I would venture to say a palomar is not a good knot period. The line makes no difference since you shouldn't use it. But for knots its a SDJ or Uni. Lately though I have been using pretty much all Uni. Lots of fishing at night and the Uni is great since you never loose the line or the hole it needs to go through.

I would strongly beg to differ. That's just way to bold of a statement to make in my opinion. I have never used anything but a standard Palomar knot for as long as I can remember and have NEVER, not once, had the knot break. Considering it's possibly the most used knot by pros and most bass fisherman in general, I would say it's proven itself pretty well. I feel like the results that my brother and myself have had probably speak well of the knot themselves but I know quite a few other accomplished fisherman that use the Palomar knot almost exclusively. The Palomar is popular for a reason. It just works. Oh ya, and I use it with Flouro too.

been tying SDJ on straight braid w/ no problems, but saw a thread on the muskyhunter forum recently which makes me think twice. might have to go with the double uni.

"To date the best knot strength is Uni, 80# PowPro, 42.2 &40.1 lbf failure. Power Knot 35.4 lbf, Berkely Braid 36.5 lbf, Miller 32.7 lbf, and Palomar 32.5 lbf"

I am not saying a palomar knot doesn't work. There is just better knots out there. I suppose the best knot is whatever knot you are the wet at tying or have the most confidence in. If that happens to be a palomar then so be it. As for the knot strength tests those to me don't hold that much value. If they were testing knots after they had been fished and best on as opposed to a freshly tied one I think the numbers would hold more value.

Palomar is not a good knot because its very easy to have the two lines in the loop cross over themselves. If that happens you chance them cutting into each other on the hookset. Take a magnifying glass and look at every Palomar you tie, bet most of them have the lines crossed. This is not a problem with braid, only mono and fluro.

I am not saying a palomar knot doesn't work. There is just better knots out there. I suppose the best knot is whatever knot you are the wet at tying or have the most confidence in. If that happens to be a palomar then so be it. As for the knot strength tests those to me don't hold that much value. If they were testing knots after they had been fished and best on as opposed to a freshly tied one I think the numbers would hold more value.

true