Snaps vs Split rings

mbalko11

This is like asking whether fat girls or skinny girls are better in bed. So many opinions.

Here is my opinion lol. I like Owner hyperwire split rings. I currently have them on my slammers,bullshooter, deps 175/250, baby wake and rats. I've NEVER had an issue with a hyperwire and I believe the split ring allows the lure to freely move about.

This is like asking whether fat girls or skinny girls are better in bed. So many opinions.

Here is my opinion lol. I like Owner hyperwire split rings. I currently have them on my slammers,bullshooter, deps 175/250, baby wake and rats. I've NEVER had an issue with a hyperwire and I believe the split ring allows the lure to freely move about.

I say we start a thread on this. Might finally get a decent conversation again

Caesar I never thought about that, thanks for bringing that up...For cheap insurance I will start tossing my old ones and use fresh snaps after every couple trips...Ain't worth the risk for the price of a snap vs the price of the baits we chuck...

As far as owner hyper wires split rings I think it's size #6 that I'm using...I'm not home so I could be wrong...

If I use snaps, I use the Tactical Anglers clips. They can't open up accidentally and I've never had one fail. I use them for a half-dozen trips, then toss them. They don't fatigue like the regular snaps because they barely bend when you put them on or off. 

post-18711-0-32901700-1444271295_thumb.jpg

I use both split rings and Decoy snaps. Like the guys above have mentioned, when using a snap I it on a bait and leave it there. One additional thing I do is to take needle nose pliers and just slightly pinch down the ends of the snaps. Crimping the ends down very slightly prevents them from accidentally opening.

Most musky glide baits expect a leader with a snap to be used. I sometimes dont use anything because i can control bait better...but the holy grail of glides is a shimy at end of glide imo and snaps and rings give u a better chance of doing it.

Edited by bigpoppabass