Best swimbaits and techniques for shallow bass

dsonnenburg

I like to use floaters such as the Baby Wake and Freestyle Shad floater or Gill if its shallow with vegetation around (tullies, weeds, etc.). Work em slow with pops.

If its just a shallow flat, I like to throw either a 3:16 Little Booger or Rising Son, or something with a pretty slow sink, and fish about 1ft below the surface on a slow to medium retrieve, with pops toward the surface.  

I used to walk a manmade canal near my home and had alot of success catching fish on slammers on the drop and splash.  Canal tops out at 4 feet and fish held to structure on edges of it.  I have been unable to replicate the strategy elsewhere, and I am thinking it might be a shallow water thing.

Seems we're all in agreement with topwater or really slow sink/crank down baits.  Ones you can maintain a slow retrieve in shallow water.   Of course I let the conditions guide me.  Low wind gives you all the options, but if it's too choppy I'll stay subsurface. 

Ok, thanks for the advice. There is not a lot of structure just a lot of pads

If the pads aren't too thick, try waking a Slammer right through them, the bill does a pretty good job of keeping the hooks clear of snags. If they're too thick to pull that off, try finding holes in the pads, throwing a floating bait into them and deadsticking/twitching it.

Lot of good ideas put up in here.. I'd also suggest a floating gill and a bait that doesn't get much mention, a 316 minnow. Awesome little brother to the new weed less RS... Basically a floater, and weedless.. I'll nail weight them to get them to sink at desired rate and you can pull them through/over anything.

Not sure if its categorized as a "swimbait" but i love throwing lunker punkers up shallow near cover and stumps/laydowns and doing one walk to the side nd then another one or two relly slow and letting it sit, they hammer them. Also rof 5 weedless hudds work great up shallow on a slow steady retrieve.

Looks like people suggested some good topwater baits.  For stuff subsurface I'd say a little creeper trash fish would be a solid choice, or a weedless rof 5 hudd.  Maybe a bullshooter 160 with the lipweight removed.