egoodnow

Spring is finally starting to show itself in NC and I was looking to get my first wake bait, I'm looking at slammers right now but if anyone knows any good ones that won't break the bank feel free to let me know of them.  But I was wondering what colors y'all like for wake baits, down here where I'm fishing its mostly shad and bluegill, but I know color on wake baits can be a little less important. Also what sizes do you like I've heard some debate on the 7 v. the 9 inch. What do you guys like to throw?

Edited by egoodnow

9" Original, you can find some good deals on the Black Market, they show up regularly so be patient, you can also throw up a WTB ad and see if someone is selling theirs.  If you bought one new from Mike it'll run you about $65.  This bait will swim under the surface about 1-2' on a fast retrieve or slowly waked on top.  You may also want to get a 9" Deep Crank to have the option of switching up if they arnt biting on top.

Yup 9" single joint is the truth. Color wont really matter a ton but it wouldnt hurt to match the forage in your area if you can. If you get a lighter color it'll be easier to see at night, which is prime slammer time

Edited by northeast_trev

Definitely skip the 7" and go right to the 9". I think most days when they are on a Slammer bite it doesn't matter much which model you are throwing- single or double jointed, original or cranking, the fish eat them all. None of the deep cranks my friends or I have owned really run very deep- 2.5 or 3 feet max. The deep cranks also surface wake just fine at slow speeds. Throw it and you will get bit.

Just to clarify, the "Deep Crank" isn't something you go out and buy correct? It just depends on how mike happened to make the one you get right?

No, it is a separate model. The bill is slightly longer and set at a different angle. I don't know of any retailers who carry the crank model, I have always gone directly to Mike Shaw for those.

Just to clarify, the "Deep Crank" isn't something you go out and buy correct? It just depends on how mike happened to make the one you get right?

My deep crank models run consistently deeper than the regular ones - on a long cast they'll kick bottom in 8 - 10'.  You need to contact Mike Shaw directly for those.  If I were setting someone up with a Slammer, I'd get them a 9" original in either light trout, shad, or golden shiner.  The 7" is a good confidence bait, but, with a few exceptions, I've found that fish that hit a 7" will hit the 9" and the 9" definitely has more calling power.

I love slammers, you will too. Like Wayne said....any one of them will get smashed. Other than the good coloration & big intimidating eyes, I believe it is the sound they make during the retreive that helps with the attraction, (a slight...klickity clack, as the three body pieces hit together). I happen to like the 2-X, (two joints), model in deep crank.

Im going to agree with everyone and say the 9" is the way to go.  I had a 7" for a while and it got bit just fine.  The 9" gets bit just as much if not more for me.  Dinks will be all over it.  I have only used the single joint versions so I cant speak for the multi joints.  As for color, as you stated.  It doesnt matter a whole lot.  I use the dark trout color in lakes with no trout.  The bottom is silver to a purple color which I like.  White, black, purple nitro, and shad would all be good colors.

Make sure you swap out the hooks.  2/0 for the 9" if thats the route you go.