How to cut a straight "V" joint?

Lakeshark

I've made a couple single joint swimbaits recently and both times that I have cut the "V" joint they have come out slightly crooked and I had to sand them a bunch to get the two pieces to be symmetrical. First time I used a ban saw, and the second I used a small wood working saw. I'm assuming that cutting the joint while the bait still has a flat uncarved bottom may be the best choice which is what I did the very first time I made a lure, but not the second.

How do you guys cut the joints straight the first time so you don't end up wasting so much time and wood by trying to straighten everything out?

Thank you.

Not sure what kind of bait or style your making, but I have 15 slammers right now and everyone is different. I love slammers not talking mess, but hand made baits are not perfect. Every one is a little unique! Nothing wrong with that as long as they all swim well.

Not sure what kind of bait or style your making, but I have 15 slammers right now and everyone is different. I love slammers not talking mess, but hand made baits are not perfect. Every one is a little unique! Nothing wrong with that as long as they all swim well.

Only 15??? No way, you gotta have more than that bro, you vacuum them up as soon as they touch down on here! Prob more like fifty, your speak to text was a lil off, must be whisky:30 over there buddy } ; ) >

Ok, ok, I'm just exuding jealousy again... lol

Only 15??? No way, you gotta have more than that bro, you vacuum them up as soon as they touch down on here! Prob more like fifty, your speak to text was a lil off, must be whisky:30 over there buddy } ; ) >

Ok, ok, I'm just exuding jealousy again... lol

Ok i didn't count them just trying to get the point across. I couldn't even try to count them whiskey bent seeing doubles an all. I'd have to close one eye and count. ;)

I appreciate the help fellas. I noticed that my slammers I own are pretty off on the joint. But that might be why they won't swim straight subsurface no matter how I tune them. They still get bit waking them however.

I realize it probably doesn't have to be perfect but if I strive for perfection, and don't quite hit the mark then my bait will turn out the better for it. Also, I see that people are able to make perfect cuts, since there are masters for the all the resin baits out there that needed to be precise. And that may be a goal of mine down the road, to be able to mess with molds and resin. I can't fix the joints and make them straight with some sanding. Recently when I added detail to the bait where the joint was cut, I ended up having to sand the bait in a way that hurt the symmetry of it.

Thank you for the responses.

The bait that put the question in mind. post-22684-0-71199900-1457543238_thumb.jpeg

I appreciate the help fellas. I noticed that my slammers I own are pretty off on the joint. But that might be why they won't swim straight subsurface no matter how I tune them. They still get bit waking them however.

I realize it probably doesn't have to be perfect but if I strive for perfection, and don't quite hit the mark then my bait will turn out the better for it. Also, I see that people are able to make perfect cuts, since there are masters for the all the resin baits out there that needed to be precise. And that may be a goal of mine down the road, to be able to mess with molds and resin. I can't fix the joints and make them straight with some sanding. Recently when I added detail to the bait where the joint was cut, I ended up having to sand the bait in a way that hurt the symmetry of it.

Thank you for the responses.

The bait that put the question in mind. attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yes. Resin masters do need to be perfect.... But they don't all need to be the same material... My Resin masters looked like patch work so I could get them exactly how I wanted them. 

Yes. Resin masters do need to be perfect.... But they don't all need to be the same material... My Resin masters looked like patch work so I could get them exactly how I wanted them. 

Thats actually really helpful to know.  I mean, it makes sense, it just had not crossed my mind yet.  I ended up breaking the lower fin on this piece so maybe its time I do learn how to mold.

Thank you