Fixing wood swim baits that are taking on water

Birdi23nls

I have a bunch of swimbaits that I love and cherish that have got to the point were the foil is so torn up, they are talking on water. They are wood wake baits. Any ideas on how to resurface them? Making them look pretty is not the motivation. Just need them to stay on top.

Thanks guys

Let them dry out for two weeks. Some guys use devcon 2ton epoxy. I use automotive clear coat. mixture of wood glue and water helps to seal the wood prior to clear coat. The sealer by itself won't be 100% sufficient though. Good luck.

Let the lure dry thoroughly then sand down the rough spots. Dust the lure off well, then apply super glue (don't use the gel) as a sealant. The super glue is rough so you would want to lightly sand it down again when it dries, usually in about 30 mins. Spray on your paint and allow it to dry and then apply Devcon 2ton 30min epoxy. A tip when applying the epoxy is to warm the lure up using a heat gun or hair drier, this will allow the epoxy to go on smoothly. After the whole thing is covered with epoxy, take the heat gun and apply a little heat to the epoxy which will help remove the bubbles that may cause a hazy look. You would also want to rotate the lure 3 times every 3 to 5 mins to prevent sagging. After about 15 mins, it should set to where you could just hang it. Let it cure for 12-24 hrs.

Devcon 30 min will yellow over time from exposure to UV(5 min is really bad and quick to yellow). Plus you have to turn any epoxy for at least 20-30 mins until it starts to setup or you will be screwed lol. There are uv stable epoxies like flexcoat that are good but cost a little more. All in all epoxy is a good start and fairly easy for what you get. I started with and still use epoxy on rare occasions.

Superglue is quick and easy but doesn't last with continued water exposure(ever get it on your hands? if you wash your dishes watch it just start flaking off!). Plus it is harder to apply nice fluid coats.

I haven't tried nail polish but heard its clunky and also doesn't tend to last long.

Be careful with any oil based sealer. They can be good but if you ever intend to paint the bait in the future you will have compatibility issues.

I personally use auto clears, MCU's or concrete sealers after touching up/prepping the bare wood spots. all have their advantages and disadvantages. You have to try them and find what you like. I tend to go back to auto clears more times than not though. Hope this helps feel free to pm me with questions!