Braid for Swimbaits

SPEEDBEAD

Helps with keeping the braid from digging into itself on strong hooksets and big running fish, perhaps? Not sure either, but that would be my guess. Like you said, cast offs would be another reason due to braid not having any "give" to it.

I have not made the switch to braid for bigger baits, so these are just guesses.

I think most people do it because with braid you can get away with running a substantially stronger line with no increase in overall diameter compared to an equally rated mono and minimal increases compared to lighter rated braids.

For instance 10 lb mono is typically 0.012" in diameter vs 30lb mono which is 0.022"

On the other hand Braid in 10 lb is .006" and 30 lb is .011" and 65lb braid is just .016'!

With that said, equally rated braid will always be thinner than mono so if you can run an equal amount of line that is twice the strength, the answer should be obvious. I understand your point on "overkill" but some people would debate a 12in bait is overkill yet we keep on chucking them.

I personally don't like to run braid however I have snagged a hudd or two in my day and having 65lb braid vs 30lb mono very well could have made the difference in getting it back.

just food for thought.

I could write a book on using braid for swimbaits, but Ill try not to do that here. I can only write about what my experiences are and the reasons why I do something. And these of course are based on the conditions I face, not on the conditions you or anybody else faces. In other words, what works for me may not work for others and it may not even be appropriate for the waters others fish.

I throw 65lb for mid-sized baits and 80lb for larger baits. All have a longish fluoro leader. I use the heavier line because 1) I fish alot of snaggy, sharp rocks and Im very concerned about nicks in my braid and breakage issues (one reason my leader is longish) 2) the advantages I gain by using the smaller diameter of say 50 versus 80 (visibility) IMO is much smaller than the advantage I gain in strength by using 80 versus 50, and 3) I am somewhat concerned about castoffs (Ive broken 65 on backlashes but never 80). Also, have you ever set the hook with braid and its like somebody put a lighter to your line, it just straight up breaks easily (was there a nick somewhere, I dont know)? Not sure how this happens, but I feel I have a lesser chance of that happening with 80. I would never forgive myself if I finally managed to get that 18+ pounder on and my line broke because I was using 50lb test. I have used 50 pound for 8" Hudds but it just didnt feel right and IMO it was just a matter of time before some catastrophe happened. I dont want to chance that. In terms of breaking off on rocks, there is no way I could fish my waters with 50lb.

Im not 100% happy with my current line setups, I still have some issues Im trying to find solutions to. But just like everything in swimbaits, its an endless evolution that has no end. But for now its working for me, by this time next year my line setups will be different and I have a very good idea exactly what they will be. The biggest concern I have right now is the visibility factor, long leader or not! And this is compounded when I fish heavily pressured toads in crystal clear water. Really, I need 4 setups for daytime fishing and 4 setups for night fishing, but thats not going to happen anytime soon.

I tie an Alberto followed by a 4-5 wrap lock knot. The main reason it took me 8 years to decide to switch to braid was because I was scared to death of connector knot failure. Somebody I have full confidence in, and who has caught tons of big fish, took me aside one day and showed me that knot. I grilled him for an hour before I had the confidence to do it. I have 100% confidence in the knot.

Bent hooks and braid are a whole other topic to ponder..........

The "Alberto", "Albright", "Modified Albright" is a great knot. This is what I tie also. It has proven itself to me time and time again. On fish much larger than LMB and Stripers... I finish the knot slightly different so that I do not need the the 4-5 Turn Lock Knot with the Spectra Tag end. It is very difficult to describe but I would be happy to show it to anyone that is interested. BBQ perhaps...

I hope the growing membership is awake and realizes the kind of technical expertise and information that is available and being shared from some very great fishermen on this site. It's what I had hoped would be the kind of information that would be disseminated on other sites, but to no avail, and this forum is just a few days old!

Being willing to share and help the new generations of swimbaiter's to learn what we've learned the hard way through trial and error (Okay, maybe blood, sweat, and tears! :lol: ) is what will keep big baiting alive and growing.

Just take a leap of faith and realize we could share everything we know collectively and the newbies would still have to be willing to dedicate the time, resources, and unyielding commitment to the big bait to see results.

I personally want thank each and every one of you that comes to Swimbait Underground and shares his or hers knowledge, no matter how small or insignificant you might think it is. Knowledge is enlightenment and this is what each of us wants and needs most, even if we aren't aware of it yet. Enlightenment, coupled with application and commitment leads to success and reward in our quest of the elusive DD's.

So again thank you for being willing to step out from behind the cloak of secrecy and share what you've learned, I for one find it truly exhilarating.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

BBI

:D

Urban,

May I ask what length of Leaders you have been using?

Have you ever tried using a Wind-On Leader? A leader that is spliced into Hollow Spectra.

Thanks,

Adam,

I've tried windons a few times. Wasn't playing with hollow but still a Bimmini in 65# spectra to a properly made windon is a pretty small connection. If you want I can make you a few when I get home. Let me know.

So you guys using the braid and floro. or mono. leader, Do you still use the leader when night fishing? And how often do you retie the braid to leader knot?

Seth, its braid/fluoro for me because I want the added abrasion resistance of the fluoro vs mono, plus the visibility factor cant hurt. I use the same setup at night only because I want my leader dragging on the rocks and not the braid. I start each outing with a 12 foot leader; factoring in retying every so often that normally gets me through a trip. Once home, I retie a completely new leader for the next trip.

Nice spot :P

So you guys using the braid and floro. or mono. leader, Do you still use the leader when night fishing? And how often do you retie the braid to leader knot?

Seth, its braid/fluoro for me because I want the added abrasion resistance of the fluoro vs mono, plus the visibility factor cant hurt. I use the same setup at night only because I want my leader dragging on the rocks and not the braid. I start each outing with a 12 foot leader; factoring in retying every so often that normally gets me through a trip. Once home, I retie a completely new leader for the next trip.

Nice spot :P

+1 except I use 16' yellow 30# mono easier to see in the darkness. Mono leader changed every outing.

• 10 years later...

30# stealth grey braid (usually) with a 6-10ft fluoro leader. Checking the first 2-3ft for knicks after every catch.

Ill typically swap the leader after every trip