Heartbreak

csparrow12

So.. I got my Deps 250 in carp last Tuesday. Ive been fishing everyday since then, and caught at least one deps fish on every outing, including two 5 pounders. Yesterday, I went fishing straight from school. I drove up to the creek and noticed the water is very clear. I fished for 30 mins with only a few followers. Then, I walked around a tree and made a longgggg rolling cast, almost across the whole creek. I looked down and the deps was at my feet, with two huge bass under it. I cast back out, and catch one around 4 pounds. I keep walking and notice a bed with a huge log in the middle of it. I cast and to my surprise, the log (an 8 pounder) rushes my bait and nails it. It ended up missing the hooks but at the same cast as I'm coming over the bed, the male smacked it. I was raising it out of the water, and it was around 5 pounds, when he shook off. For some reason, I have the mentality of grinding and bouncing every fish I catch. So I was mad, but not devastated, a 5 pounder isn't unnormal for me so I didn't let it get to me too much. I stay at the same bed, and about 30 casts later, the big one followed it back to he bed. I give it two hard glides and she nailed it. I set the hook perfectly and grind her in to the shore. I was on a steep bank about 4 feet up from the water. I tried dragging it up to me instead of going and lipping her, don't ask me why. Right when she's all the way out of the water, I get a really good look at her. She was easily 8 pounds, and I got super excited. I finally reached my goal of an 8. So I try to drag her up even more, and right when I give her one big pull, POP. My line broke. 25 lb P-line. The fish falls back in the water and I fall to the ground. it's gone. I jump to my feet to grab my deps, but then I see it on the outside of the fishes mouth. she swims down and then swims back up and jumps out of the water to try to shake the deps. It stays in her mouth. I follow her around for a while and she jumped again about 30 mins later, right before dark. It stays in her mouth. So I pretty much had the worst day of my life. But I can't decide which is worse, losing the fish or losing the deps. I don't have the money to get another one, so I guess I need to start saving. What do y'all think I should do? swim with goggles? cast net the fish? anything helps, thanks. here's some pics of fish I stuck in the 6 days I had it. post-25523-0-03489800-1459889707_thumb.jpegpost-25523-0-13528600-1459889733_thumb.jpegpost-25523-0-70644700-1459889743_thumb.jpegpost-25523-0-24757900-1459889755_thumb.jpegpost-25523-0-71138700-1459889768_thumb.jpeg

That lure will likely be shaken in a day imo. Go back near bed. I lost a big topwater once, a bass seared braid on rocks. It was floating in the middle of the pond the next day. True story. But i also barbed down hooks on it cuz bronze hooks still hold well since little piece of barb holds. I hope you get it back, seems like rod overpowered the little bit of line out...

Go back and see if she is back on the bed. If she still has the deps pinned, tie any fast sinking lure bigger than the gaps on the deps hooks. Pitch it past her and let the line settle over her and hopefully across one of the hooks. Then reel in slowly until the lure or weight gets caught on the hook. Hopefully you'll get the fish and lure back.

yeah... I'm never trying that again. All that was going through my head at the time was "land this fish". I'm very upset that I didn't tell myself to go and lip it. The outcome would have been 2x better. 1x for the bait and 1x for the fish. lol.

Lots of good information on here about diving for baits. Search "Mask", as in dive mask, and there are some helpful topics that will pop up.

My experience when I broke off a 250 on a fish, I found it about 10 yards away, further up the creek. Was in about about 3 FOW.

i traded callum the deps for a camera. he's a solid kid and the transaction went super smooth and he was polite and easy to deal with.  if i had another to spare id send one out. he texted me after losing the fish and bait and was super bummed. im down to throw a couple bucks in later this week once i get paid like don said. he sent me pics first day he caught a fish on the bait and was pumped! 

so...i talked to him and he seems like a good kid and is getting good grades....i'm willing to throw in some money if anyone wants to help a young angler replace this bait.

I'll go in on that with you.

I'm out the door to a meeting now, will be back in a few hours to work out the details.....