weedless rising son

Salty_Cak

Ordered some to try and they came pretty quick. Threw them today on the St Johns for a little bit to try out. No hits or follows but I like them. Swim good and seem to come through the eel grass easily, but man these things are heavy. Tried them on my 7'6" Kistler Helium Heavy and decided that wasn't enough and swapped over to my 7'11" Extra H Denali flippin stick and that felt better. 

Remember to keep your rod tip pointed right at the bait during the full retrieve. You'll have a much better hook-up ratio.

could you explain this?  I'm curious why that improves the hook up ratio?  Good to know, id imagine this holds true on other weedless baits?

could you explain this?  I'm curious why that improves the hook up ratio?  Good to know, id imagine this holds true on other weedless baits?

I believe you just pull the bait out there mouth. I'm sure there is a chance you can still hook up but that hasn't been the case for me.

I watched the promo video for it too and he said to keep the rod pointed at the bait the whole time. I get the logic behind whacking one asap in very heavy cover, but I also think that maybe you should wait a second until you feel the fish like a top water bite. It's definitely something I'll have to play with and see.

I ordered from lake fork tackle and all of the packs had their tails crimped like they didn't fit in the container. I have tried to straighten them but on some there is a noticeable dent. Anyone else have that happen? The original packs were a lot better.

Jschulz...I have several 3:16 RS with bent tails from the same packaging issue...

and they swim like crap because of it.

I tried bowling and hanging but nothing seems to improve their performance

I'll give'em to a newbie for nothing... or anyone who thinks they can fix them (Bass,Bublegum and Carp)

Mine were the same way I took them out of the packages and laid the on their back with the tail straight and mine straightened up on their own after about 4-5 days. I had others I could use in the mean time. I have also left some in a soft wrap bait holder that got twisted because I forgot I had them in there and I did the same thing to them and they straighted out on thier own. Just laying them on thier back straight to something that has a slight tacky surface (like the top of a bait box) so you can stretch it enough to be straight and let it stay that way a few days. This picture is after 4-5 days

Boiling them may do someting to it you cannot fix.

post-22600-0-17026900-1460507882_thumb.jpg

Jschulz...I have several 3:16 RS with bent tails from the same packaging issue...and they swim like crap because of it.I tried bowling and hanging but nothing seems to improve their performanceI'll give'em to a newbie for nothing... or anyone who thinks they can fix them (Bass,Bublegum and Carp)

Shoot, I'll fish em as is for you haha.

But in all seriousness, I've just been fishing them with the bend and they still get bit or eventually straighten out.

You want the hit to come with the line going straight to the reel. The hook point will dig into the fish and all your hook-set is doing is finishing the job. My hook-up ratio jumped from around 50% to almost perfect when I started doing it.

• 3 weeks later...