Phoney Frog USA glide shad

Magic Man CP

Guest Richieg

Perhaps we can get back to the original intent of this thread.  Its still a little on the cool side here for me to be throwing mine, but I'd love to hear from the guys who are already using them.  How are they fishing?

Should be interesting to see how it goes. Are you using braid? Use it with the Gillrila but I think the Phoney Shad is a little heaver? Edited by Richieg

Perhaps we can get back to the original intent of this thread.  Its still a little on the cool side here for me to be throwing mine, but I'd love to hear from the guys who are already using them.  How are they fishing?

I'm interested in how people are fishing them as well.  I have two but haven't had a chance to fish them yet.

Guest Richieg

I like it. I fish it on straight braid, sunline FX 50lb. The nose was coming up so I am using a decoy egg snap and it now fishes better. I use a light jerk/pull to get a better glide. No big fish yet but it catches fish.

I use FX and the new BX2. It's smoother and very quiet (not that the FX really bothered me too much.)  It's a bigger diameter and can't put as much on the spool. They are both very good. Thanks for the info on the Shad. Nice fish by the way. 

Edited by Richieg

I throw mine on 20lb copoly with no problems. No fish worthy of taking a pic with yet, but I caught one ~4.5lber when my camera died on me. I like throwing it around tule islands/points on the delta and just above/between grass. I have one rigged with a split ring on the nose and one with a #5 decoy egg snap. Haven't really noticed if I like one over the other.

As far as retrieve, I like using my reel cadence more than rod twitches to work the bait. For me, I like pushing the handle and feeling the glide each time rather than quick turns/stops of the handle. Quick turns get the bait to dart side to side harder, while pushing the handle more softly gets a smoother but less sharp turn in the glide.

Good points Justin. I too use a snap on mine, I think it offers another pivot point, giving it a chance to glide "sooner". Spoke to Jason at Phoney Frog and he said he designed it to be tied directly, but I personally like it better with the snap or ring. I've also been playing with a couple low floats I had got from them a while back, working on making more of a suspending model. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine in the mail today from a member. It is an awesome bait but the dorsal fin popped out with a little test pull. A dab of superglue will fix, I assume? I just want some input before I mess with it. Thanks guys.

Just picked one up from Isaac and threw it for about 30 mins the other day. Water Temps below 45. Bait is an extra extra extra slow sink, not sure if the temp effected that. Fished on 80lb braid. Had a nice smooth glide on slow retrieve. Was able to get it to dart out and do some spins with the rod as well. Should be a good producer this season

Edited by northeast_trev