How do you pick your swimbait colors?

tysonck

Preferences based on conditions, general favorites, water clarity? Also, do you think that bass have actual forage preferences and will only eat something that closely resembles that particular preyfish?

Can you give some examples of what you like to throw and when? Spring through winter? At night?

Ive always bought baits based off of appeal to me, and definitely pick them out of my trays. That doesn't necessarily mean Im not taking into consideration other factors but thats definitely my first consideration. Up here in Ontario you very rarely run into dirty water so I follow light day light colour/dark day dark colour... Ive found more so with swimbaits then any other style of bait that colour rarely matters, they have such drawing power that sometimes I even go with a completely odd ball colour (think sissy, chartreuse) just to provoke more of an aggressive strike. just my 2c 

Personally I think it's more the profile and swimming action vs color. For example, I have several hudds that started out with color and are now void of color. One is a phantom which is now clear and the other is off white plastic color. Both baits continue to produce better now than when they where brand new. I'm sure that certain shades (light vs dark) will produce better at certain times, but for the most part profile and swim action is most important.....That's my .02, I'm sure others will have a different opinion. Btw, this topic has been covered several times on here.

I'm in the "action is more important" boat. I used to have some concern of color, and still like natural colors innately, but my favorite color is ridiculous and I have caught them on it in 20 foot clarity

I would love to know how bass actually see color compared to how we do.

I'm in the "action is more important" boat. I used to have some concern of color, and still like natural colors innately, but my favorite color is ridiculous and I have caught them on it in 20 foot clarity

I would love to know how bass actually see color compared to how we do.

Bass see red/orange and green very good and they almost don't see blue and don't see purple (they also don't see infrared and ultraviolet). Blue and purple are almost as if they are grey. Carp see the colors bass see, but they also see blue, purple and UV.

Some of you guys make it sound like its really whatever you feel like that given day. Which begs the question; If you all would pick a color or pattern based on a personal preference, and not a given "Law of fishing", does it matter at all? Does one guy throwing one color have a better chance than another guy throwing a different color? Sounds to me like the bass could really care less in your opinions