Tactical angler clips v. Owners cross lock

BigSlant

I used Owner 70's on large baits and 36 on smaller as well for a number of years.i had the 70's bend on me Catching stripers never broke but bent real bad.i switched to Decoy #4 for smaller baits # 5 for large.have not looked back.they seen to be holding up much better.

One other thing to keep in mind is that none of these snaps are perfectly symmetrical. So if you have a billed bait that runs slightly off to one side you can sometimes correct it by flipping the snap around 180 degrees. It won't make a big difference but its enough for a slight change. I'd recommend trying that before you resort to bending the line tie. It's worked on a couple of my baits.

I use the Decoy egg snaps also but once I put them on a bait I leave them there permanently. If you use spit rings just be careful to position your knot away from the cut ends of the ring which can be sharp. You don't have to worry about sharp edges with the Decoy snaps. T Dot has mentioned in the past that he ties to a welded ring attached to the split ring. That sounds good as well.

Ditto about leaving them on..

Once on my baits they are married until they lose the finish on them and then I change them out.

Just lost a fish (not even 3 lbs) due to a snap breaking yesterday.. goodbye Gantarel. Was going to make a post to ask what people typically use, but this post works just as well. Thanks SU!

Going to go back this week and see if my Gantarel is floating in the water haha. Fingers crossed!

Just lost a fish (not even 3 lbs) due to a snap breaking yesterday.. goodbye Gantarel. Was going to make a post to ask what people typically use, but this post works just as well. Thanks SU!

Going to go back this week and see if my Gantarel is floating in the water haha. Fingers crossed!

What snap

I think it was a Danielson, but I'm not sure.  It is probably my fault for buying snaps on the cheaper end to begin with.  Will definitely splurge on quality snaps from now on! Spending a couple extra bucks on better snaps is much cheaper than buying an entire new swimbait...

This is probably a newb question, Is there any other advantage to using snaps verses tying straight to the bait? Other than quickly changing baits.

Couple things..I believe freedom of movement for the bait..tying direct to some baits especially with heavy line can mute or lessen the action..also I noticed with heavy line and some big glides my knots would tend to fail more..I think two reasons on that..if you have a large bait and a knot like a Palomar as you loop the knot around the bait it creates heat and stretch as you tighten it..gotta keep the line wet..or a stiff knot like the sdj imagine bending wire back and forth till it snaps..with a snap/split ring you tend to eliminate knot failure more..imo..and between the split ring and snap you have less re ties and the quick change capabilities

Couple things..I believe freedom of movement for the bait..tying direct to some baits especially with heavy line can mute or lessen the action..also I noticed with heavy line and some big glides my knots would tend to fail more..I think two reasons on that..if you have a large bait and a knot like a Palomar as you loop the knot around the bait it creates heat and stretch as you tighten it..gotta keep the line wet..or a stiff knot like the sdj imagine bending wire back and forth till it snaps..with a snap/split ring you tend to eliminate knot failure more..imo..and between the split ring and snap you have less re ties and the quick change capabilities

Makes sense. I have noticed that my glide seems to not glide as much since I started using 25lb flouro. Looks like I may be ordering some snaps here soon.

Been using the decoy egg snaps for years never failed me. The Berkley Snaps I had open once on me after a minor snag and a 10" triple trout slow sink was lost right near the boat as I was about to lift it out of the water  :? Most dumbest bait loss I've ever seen. LOL, That was a very long time ago much before the decoy snaps even existed.