Paint Removal?

LUV-2-CATCH'EM

I have a resin bait that I would like to remove the paint to fish just resin color...

I don't plan to repaint it ...just want to fish it bare bone.

I was concerned I would melt the resin if used too harsh a chemical...don't even know if this is possible?

I searched this topic and couldn't find anything... Surprised me since I cant be the only one who has wanted to do this...

Thanks for any help!

You need a solvent (thinner). Now, you are right to be concerned about damaging the resin body. Reason being that in 90% of the cases we talk about bodies made of PU resin. PU=PolyUrethane. The clear coat is also based on PU (automotive one for instance). So, you can get rid of the clearcoat but you will also "atack" the resin body. So it is a matter of touch and go, and good timing, so success comes with experience...

Normally you need to let the lure soak for a while, but for how long is impossible to say. Besides, many lure builders have different ways to coat their lures. If you are lucky, you have a lure that hasn't been primered (cough...), some cut corners and this will  work to your advantage.

What I said above works for lures coated with the normal stuff, if the lure is epoxy coated, pretty much you can forget about it. Epoxy can be removed only mechanically...

I hope i could be more help but what I have here you don't find in US. Best is to go ask at a specialized store that sells auto clears, they should know their trade and recommend you an effective solvent.

One more thing. In german is called "Abbeizer". The closest translation would be "paint remover" or "paint stripper"

Found smth very similar to what I used (at least I think so) here http://www.thepaintedsurface.com/paint-stripper-safety.php

BE VERY CAREFUL BUDDY, THE THING IS SUPER DANGEROUS FOR HEALTH. You must use it with care and follow ALL the safety instructions: proper mask, airing, etc

If the top coat is thin, or there isnt much of an epoxy finish / none for that matter:

- nail polish remover aka acetone

Please wear gloves and a mask.  Dont soak the bait, do it as if you were removed nail polish - dab and move.

I remove paint on all sorts of stuff non fishing related.

Hope this helps.

Edited by T Dot

If you are worried about damaging the bait by using harsh chemicals, I would recommend that (if you believe the paint and finish to be durable) lightly sand the bait down using 220 grit sand paper and repaint it. You'll have the fewest headaches this way. One thing about fishing baits with no protective coating over the resin is that it will actually begin to break down and get very VERY yellowed. 

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

i had someone recommend WD-40 or brake fluid

i am looking to remove old flaking, tooth removed paint completely from soft baits that are not dyed

Try mineral spirits or laquer thinner. If the paint on soft baits isn't catalyzed, it should wipe right off with eiether of the two. Just depends on what the paint base is composed of.

Try mineral spirits or laquer thinner. If the paint on soft baits isn't catalyzed, it should wipe right off with eiether of the two. Just depends on what the paint base is composed of.

Just make sure the silicone bait doesn't emulsify..some of those strippers can melt silicone