What type of swimbait for Minnesota lakes?

Jibaroyak

Hi, all I'm a rookie at swimbaits and I was wondering what kind of swimbaits work the best in MN lakes. If anyone fishes or has fished up here any recommendation will help. I have started buying swimbaits but I haven't had lots of luck.

Thanks.

Caught my first bass on a freestyle ss gill light belly a few days ago a little guy maybe 2 and some. It's a different rush. I like it. I just bought my first swimbait set up a Dobyns Fury and a shimano cardiff 300 to start. I been reading a lot on SU and I bought what it looks to be the starter lures. To many but oh well I'm hooked. Ms slammer 7 perch, hud 68 perch, mattlures rat, hard gill male, triple trout perch, gan craft 178 perch, 3:16 wake jr. lit up bass. Thanks for the help guys it looks like I'm on the right track except I think I got to exited buying baits.

Hi, all I'm a rookie at swimbaits and I was wondering what kind of swimbaits work the best in MN lakes. If anyone fishes or has fished up here any recommendation will help. I have started buying swimbaits but I haven't had lots of luck.

Thanks.

Your question is sort of like asking what conventional baits work best in MN: jigs, spinnerbaits, topwater, worms, jerk baits, etc, etc.  The answer is that they all work.  Some are better than others depending on the wage temp, season, vegetation present, and dozens of other variables. But its almost never the case when only one thing will work and nothing else.  Again there really is no simple answer as to what is "best".

Swimbaits are no different.  They are not a magic bullet.  Just like jigs, top waters, etc you need time on the water to learn how to fish them.  You are much better off starting with a handful of swimbaits.  Having more than that (when you are just starting out) is going to make it more confusing for you.  If you aren't having much initial success then you are like just about everyone else on SU.  We all went through a learning curve, but its well worth the effort.

Go out and fish the baits you already have.  Learning what they will do will should be your focus for now.  Welcome aboard. 

Thank you Wayne. I appreciate the welcome and the advice.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you really get stuck on something.  When I was getting started a few years back, there were guys on SU that helped me get going in the right direction.  I'd now be happy to help some of you newer guys in the same way.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...