Your hidden "Gem"

Mike

Brian, with all the casting & line snapping, now we know why your alias is "MRBadExample"....LOL..I hope you changed your line.

Haha, yeah first thing I did the next day! It was an older spool that I had, figured it was still good, apparently it wasn't. It wasn't even a birds nest, the line just snapped on the cast.....if you zoom in on the recovery photo, you can see the knot still attached t the snap......oh well, live and learn. And as far as the name, you can thank Warren Zevon.......

Not rare, not even beat up too bad, but this was my first big bait and it will always be special to me for that. This 7" slammer also "found me" twice. Fishing at night and with some bad line, cast it off into the darkness from shore, about 45 min. later as I continued working my way around the pond it floated to my feet, not knowing my line was crap, I took off the other bait I had switched to and tied this back on. About 1/2 hour later the line snapped again....and it sailed off....again! I went back for days scouring the pond, walking around the perimeter, out in the kayak and never found it. I gave up, bought another and moved on. Almost 4 weeks later, I was out in the yak and threw my triple trout into the overhanging bushes and tangled up. When I went to retrieve the tt and looked down under the bushes it was there bobbing, waterlogged, tail missing and rusty.....

That's pretty crazy.

A few years ago me and my brother were fishing a local lake when he casted off a Big Game Customs 10.5" glide into about 30 ft of water. We tried dragging for it but got nothing.

Almost exactly 2 years later, we are fishing the same point on that lake when I hook into something. I thought it was a fish but the closer it got I realized it wasn't really fighting. And then I saw it coming up and immediately knew what it was. I started freaking out and my brother was just in shock, he couldn't believe it. The bait had a little algae on it but it wiped right off and the bait was in almost perfect condition. We loaned it to a buddy and he's still fishing it. One of the craziest things to ever happen to us on the water. And, a testament to Kevin Lee's bait construction. The only thing bad on that bait was the hooks. Everything else was perfect. Amazing.

Here is my "gem" my 316 Freestyle Shad. Not the biggest. Or baddest bait on here but this bait collectively has defiantly caught more fish then my other baits combined. Including my Swimbait PB of 6.1. Still going strong after some gnarly hook rash, hitting a few docks and rocks. And getting it stuck 30 feet up in a tree.

post-25736-0-31699400-1476055431_thumb.jpeg

My gem. Toxic baits wake n crank. Bought this bait late spring of this year and so far ive won around $3,500 on it during tournaments. It was also responsible for a double hook up where i had a 7.81 and a 5 1/2 on the same cast. post-21583-0-81420000-1476083729_thumb.jpgpost-21583-0-50043200-1476083822_thumb.jpg

My bro went vintage shopping with his lady today in Northern Az and asked me if I wanted this trout lure for $10 he saw at a thrift store. Lol. New OG AC plug from 2000. I said well of course. Haha. Not sure if it's a Gem but a score for sure.

My buddy Whitney who used to make the OD rat made this for me when he first started producing them. This one says "01 Andy" on it, because the first one was "00" since he wasn't sure how it'd work. He found a badass carbon fiber bill in another bait and its never broken. This thing has caught tons of fish, been bounced off rocks, docks, snagged, been rattle canned a few times and could still catch fish. I've retired it though and fish one of the newer versions of his rat. Biggest bass I ever lost mowed this bait at Irvine and left me feeling weak in the knees after the hook pulled. 

post-17758-0-04694700-1476298713_thumb.jpg