2016 SUB Battle for The Underground

swimbaitunderground

Has the battle ever been won in a state that doesn't regularly produce  DD or teener fish?  I don't know the history so apologize for my ignorance.

Mark - I think it is only the last 2 years that the state-by-state handicap system went into effect.  Prior to that it was simply the overall heaviest fish, and with that it would have been near impossible to have a non-DD state win.  So I think you are only looking at the last 2 years of the Battle when teener fish were caught.  Personally I like the state handicap system.  I know I have a semi-decent chance for a 7.5 or 8 pounder in the Northeast waters I'm fishing which equates to a 10 or 10.5 pound TX/CA fish, and that gives me a fighting chance.  Of course if a teener fish comes in I'm done!

Has the battle ever been won in a state that doesn't regularly produce  DD or teener fish?  I don't know the history so apologize for my ignorance.

I don't think so. I might be wrong but I don't think that the battle has ever been won outside of CA. I think this is the history of Battle winners by year and state.

2011-BassinDon69 (CA)

2012-LukeV (CA)

2013-BassinDon69 (CA)

2014-BassinDon69 (CA)

2015-R8R (CA)

I don't know if there was a battle in 2010 or not. I wasn't on the site yet.

I have no doubt though that the title will move out of CA in the near future. There are just too many really good anglers in other states on this site and with the handicap rule (which I think was a great idea) it is bound to happen. CA does have some giant fish but it's just not realistic that someone will catch a teener in the battle every year. If Chris (Lurejerk) keeps getting into the battle, I think it's just a matter of time. He's just too consistent and Fork has so many big fish. It used to be that if you caught an 8 or 9 lber you were probably safe in the tourneys or the battle but the site has grown massively in the last few years and there are some really good sticks that will put a DD or a handicap equivalent up on you. It's pretty impressive.

Yeah I haven't followed the battle much up until this past year, year and a half. I just can't forsee an upper midwest or NE state winning this against Cali/Florida/Texas/Arizona/Alabama.  Don't get me wrong, there are swimming "Gems" out there but the odds are not in our favor.  I also understand the guys in the big fish state still have to catch 'em, but the chances seem FAR greater.  

In IL/WI a 5-6lb fish is a great catch. 7+ is pretty scarce.  Minnesota seems to carry bigger bass that are reported more often but still 6lb is great, 7+ pretty scarce.  

You guys in MA have some freakishly big fish compared to over here in the Midwest.  Must have some HGH in that water or something.

I was just curious overall. It's still a fun thing to take part in and watch.

Yeah I haven't followed the battle much up until this past year, year and a half. I just can't forsee an upper midwest or NE state winning this against Cali/Florida/Texas/Arizona/Alabama.  Don't get me wrong, there are swimming "Gems" out there but the odds are not in our favor.  I also understand the guys in the big fish state still have to catch 'em, but the chances seem FAR greater.  

In IL/WI a 5-6lb fish is a great catch. 7+ is pretty scarce.  Minnesota seems to carry bigger bass that are reported more often but still 6lb is great, 7+ pretty scarce.  

You guys in MA have some freakishly big fish compared to over here in the Midwest.  Must have some HGH in that water or something.

I was just curious overall. It's still a fun thing to take part in and watch.

The Ma giants including state record are often caught on near cape cod shore ponds which often have a trout stocking or herring run and rarely have a harsh ice over due to their coastal nature. I am surprised jersey shore lakes don't cough up similar giants.

There are giants everywhere. Just have to dig deeeeeep. I know a handful of guys that will catch a DD in Massachusetts before their time is done, maybe even more than one! A lot of intelligent anglers in the masshole state, just takes that one bite, in the perfect conditions round hurr

Kansas is not very well known for producing DD fish but there is a lake on the MO/KS border that rarely ices completely over due to the warm water discharge from the power plant and I've heard of many DD fish coming out of it in the dead of winter. Looks like it's just going to take a while lot of time to get that once in a lifetime fish.