316 rising sons vs Rago soft baits

PhillipRohal123

3:16s hold up way better, Jerry still doesn't powder coat the lead in his baits so they end up wearing away the plastic and softening up which totally sucks.  He also doesn't put in the little touches on his line through baits that make them last longer like Mickey does. Other than that there's so many different rago soft plastics that it really isn't easy to compare unless you want to reference a specific rago bait.

I happen to think Jerry has the best line up of soft plastics, he's got lipped soft plastics, boot tails, hudd style tails, bluegill, trout, shad, top hook, bottom hook, line through.  Then he makes all sizes from 4 inch baits to 13 inch baits.  you won't  go wrong with either, just depends on how you want to fish it.

With lures that aren't all that different, I usually just pick one, and use it. If it doesn't give me confidence after a few honest outings I'll make the switch. Perfect examples (most of these are surf fishing because that's what I do the most of)

Diawa SP minnow vs Savage

Sluggo vs hogy

Sebile vs storm wild eye

To the untrained eye you couldn't tell the difference between these lures, and the prices are the same.

I'd pick whichever one is more readily available and go from there.

The Rising Son is a single model, vs "Rago soft baits" which is a huge category.  

I'll share what I have observed with the models I have (Rago Weedless & Rising Son weedless)

The Rago is much softer...crazy soft.  I havne't caught many on it yet, but I hear they are not super durable and I could see why.  However, that softness gives it maximum action and at least in the cast of the weedless model the entire lure pulsates.  The "pump" on the Rago is serious....felt through the rod with east, although the thickness of the tail section means you can't crawl it and get action...you have to maintain at least a moderate retrieve speed for things to stay in motion.  Because the lure is slender in top to bottom dimension it needs to be keeled with a weighted hook.  This slender profile also works better if you want to fish it through weeds as opposed to above them.

The 3:16 WRS does not put out the pump of the Rago.  The tail flutters at even a slow retrieve, but the disturbance in the water is less.  The WRS is a bulbous lure....very thick and substantial.  The big "feature" of it is the ability to run the lure without a weighted swimbait hook and still have it maintain a normal swimming action (no rolling over).  It is an excellent lure to fish weightless over weed beds and such.  Fishing it weightless allows you to slow way down while still keeping it right near the surface.

If you want one weedless swimbait that can do it all, get the Rising Son. Its not the best at everything but it can do it all. I prefer the rising son in most situations where I might burn it, wake it, drag it, etc.. I wanted to hurt puppies trying to learn how to rig the rising son, took me a few times and screwing some up to learn. Once you get it, sick ass lure to fish shallow.

The rago is a different bait to me. Its meant to be slow rolled only IMO. I have gotten some big bites on the Rago 7.5" creeping it. The Rago isn't as versatile as rising son but its the best slow roll, hard thump 10/0 weedless swimbait. If I'm night fishing a weedless, its the rago hands down. too fun.

Get both. See what you like, everyone has a different fishing style.