musky rod vs swimbait rod

jbernaeyge

im new to the forum and new to swimbait fishing. I have have a few musky set ups (shimano sojourn in a mh + h and a mojo musky in a mh) will these be good to start out? I have tried search to find out the difference between a musky rod and a swimbait rod?

thanks in advance

Will it get you swim baiting yes....is it the best scenario, not really in m opinion since I do fish both species.  

Musky rods are usually a lot more stout, have bigger guides and have more backbone because of the fish being targeted.  The biggest disadvantage I see using my musky rods versus bass swim bait rods, is they don't load up as well and don't cast as far because of how stout they are.  I don't have really high end musky rods as I only fish for them a couple times a year if I'm lucky so I can't say that's true for all musky rods.  

With that said...........I use my bass swimbait rods for musky fishing, so..I have more bass intended gear and it works out for both. My PB musky came on a St. Croix Mojo (swimbait rod, not musky) 7'10 and a deps 175SS with 80lb braid. 

Everything also depends on what you plan to throw as far as lures.  If you plan on throwing BIG bass swim baits, then your musky gear should be okay.  If you're in the 1-4oz range with gills, freestyles and small glides you'll probably want a bass rod as the musky rods won't perform as well.

my .02

Good luck

If you want a really good entry level rod in the 1-5 oz rating, the Dobyns Fury 795 can be had for around $100 shipped with the upcoming holiday sales.  I have one and it's an excellent rod for gills, shellcrackers, freestyles, and smaller glides.  

Good luck

a lot of bass tournaments require rods less than 7'11", :most: of the musky rods I've come across Are 8'0", which makes them illegal for the tournies I've fished.... I only know this because I tried to use a fly rod in a bass tourney this summer, which would have worked except my fly rods are 9'. They actually make special fly rods for bass tourneys now that are 7'11".

2 cents.

If you want a really good entry level rod in the 1-5 oz rating, the Dobyns Fury 795 can be had for around $100 shipped with the upcoming holiday sales.  I have one and it's an excellent rod for gills, shellcrackers, freestyles, and smaller glides.  

Good luck

I have two Fury 795's and I completely agree! Awesome rod for not much money. I throw Triple Trout, Negotiators, and 175's and it handles every one of those baits very well. I highly recommend it.

Super helpful here, guys. Thank you.

I've got some credit with Fenwick for a defective spinning rod and was about to use it to order one of their Predator series. I believe they are more for Musky, but not sure.  Anyway, glad I found this chain.