Learning to fish Hudd

tckwilson

I am new to the swimabait game. Before the other day I had only caught swimbait fish on an S-waver 120.  I snuck off Thanksgiving afternoon where I had caught some big fish before. I decided that I was going to dedicate the afternoon to fishing the Hudd. I wasn't confident enough to throw the full 8 inch Hudd so I went with the 68 special in Rainbow trout. The pond was really low due to drought in the area. I started working an old creek channel. I was using a retrieve that I had seen in a Matt Allen video just as slow as I could work it, just enough to get the tail to kick. I started catching fish almost right away and after a couple hours had 5 anywhere from 1 1/2 pounds to 4 max. I decided to work a little deeper water close to the dam. I made a long cast and the bait seemed to not sink as fast as usual. I took up the slack felt the weight and set the hook hard. I started grinding the fish as quick as possible keeping my rod low to keep her from jumping.  When I first saw color on the fish I knew she was close to my PB.  I didn't have a scale or measuring tape. I used fishing line to get length and girth to measure later. I just want everyone to know that the fish in this pond have never seen a trout and also it is a small body of water less than 5 acres. So if you don't think fish in a non trout fishery will eat a trout imitating swimbait I am here to tell you they will. Also I was throwing the 68 on a Lexa with 25b flouro and a 6 foot ugly stick.  So get what gear you can afford and just throw swimsuits they will pay off. I have an Okuma rod in the mail right now because my gear was definitely not optimal. Back to the fish. She measured 26 inches in length and 19 in girth. I am gonna try and attach a pic. It isn't good because I had to prop my phone up and take a video. The lighting was terrible so I clipped out one still photo.  Thanks for everyone's post on the video that have help me learn what I have so far.