Who uses inshore low profile reels?

Lumpy2181

Considering a new reel for my dedicated swimbait setup. I have smaller hands so I prefer low profile reels. Looking good at the Max Toro from Abu, or a Lew's Super Duty. While looking around for the best price, I started looking at some inshore models and thought they might do the trick. I searched here for a bit mainly saw posts about inshore model rods so I wanted to ask and see who uses inshore reels and how well do they work. I'm tossing small-medium glides and soft plastic baits for now, maxing out at 4-5 ounces, just for reference.

Will

Daiwa coastals r great. I have the generation 1 reel and bought another on closeout. It is my buzzjet and baby wake reel married to a custom rod. What you will often find is that offshore reels r designed to throw bigger baits, have better seals and sealed bearings. It is a good direction to go in cuz chances are you are going to dunk your reel at some point and alot of reels like curados don't like that. These reels are made to take a freshwater shower after a salty trip.....I have also been using abus c3s c4s for years and they luv to take a beating and want to be left alone.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I fish all the hd reels from Daiwa and my regular tatula. I have really ben impressed with the tatula hd got them when they came out and still going strong. Even with catching 20 lb yellowtail calicos and jacks with it. I fish bait up to 6 oz with them also.

If you're throwing baits that are in the "smaller" range for swimbaits, then getting a Daiwa Tatula HD is the way to go. When they're on sale, you can find them for less than $150 instead of the $199 you see on TW. Often, if you just do a quick Amazon search (sorry TW), you can find one for $150 or less. They are PHENOMENAL reels for the smaller swimbait stuff and the bigger standard tackle stuff. Get a Tatula HD and a Dobyns Fury 795, and you've got a relatively inexpensive combo that will do most of what you want to do (small/med glides and soft plastics). I wouldn't throw a Deps 250 or similar sized baits with that rig (you could in a pinch, but I wouldn't plan on doing that every day), but for your smaller glides (175s, SG Shine glide, S Waver, Evergreen Esflat, Gillroid, Gantarel, etc.) it will work great. You can fish a 6" or 68 Hudd and any of your 6-7" soft plastics on that rig as well. As far as spending under $300 on a rod/reel combo goes, you won't beat that rig with a stick.

I've got the 795 already so I'll look into the Tatula as well. Thanks boss.

Line capacity is 14/165 on the Tatula HD. If you plan on fishing 20 or 25 lb mono, it may not be enough capacity for you. If you're fishing the smaller stuff, and subsurface, you'd be better off with 15 lb fluoro, in which case, you'll have plenty of line capacity. Seaguar AbrazX, for example, has a diameter of 0.012 at 15 lb test, compared to Big Game 15 lb mono, which has a diameter of 0.015. So, you'll be able to spool at least 165 yards of 15 lb fluoro on the Tatula HD. That's plenty of line.

Personally, I use all braid and a leader as needed (15 lb fluoro for the 6-7" glides and softs), so line capacity is never an issue for me. That's conversation for another thread altogether, but I made the switch a few years back and love it.

I've caught 36 plus inch pike with the Tatula HD (those suckers fight HARD) without any issues, so I suspect most of the bass you run into will not outgun you with that reel.

• 1 month later...

Been using the Tatula HD on my 795 for a little while now and for 4oz and less, it's a pretty sweet setup. Balance is good with the reel and rod and I can fit enough 20lb fluoro on it to cast as far as I feel comfortable without worrying about spooling myself. I will swap the reel over to the Fury 806 since I have one on the way now that TW has them available. I'll put out a review of the rod once I take it down to FL for a trip to hopefully smash some biguns.

I wouldn't throw hudds on the dobyns 795. The rod has a little too much tip for that big jig hook Imo. Tatula paired with the 795 should do everything you want up to 4 oz. Anything more you need to step up. I would even say the 796 would be good to throw the smaller <3 oz baits up to 7oz.