How many baits do you take?

d-camarena

I take a lot of what I got. I have to drive about an hour and fifteen to hit water so conditions aren't always as they seem when I get to the lake. Weather reports aren't always accurate and they don't tell the whole story when they are.

...I take all my baits, i only have about 30...

I got a laugh out of the "only" part. 

Over time I have narrowed down what I bring. I am down to 4 or 5 baits. A hard, soft, glide, top water. 

I believe having 4/5 baits you are familiar with is a lot more effective than dabbling in 15 or so. At the same time, I have seen the fish only want one particular bait.

Last year if I was on the boat on the delta I had around 30-40 and tried them all..lakes was a different story..I only brought around 20-30 some variations that wouldn't go to the delta..this year I have found what I like and my resolution is to dump what I won't use..so far I've donated, sold and traded about 60 baits and replaced that with around 20..mostly backups of baits I like..my shore bang carry goal is to get a small backpack and pack less than 10 baits..carrying too much sucks

If I'm fishing from shore, I tend to bring 1-3 baits. Depends on if I'm carrying a pack and how far I'm walking.

From the kayak, I'll bring one box worth. Usually like 5-8.

In the boat, I tend to bring probably between 10-15.

Like Chris said though, I tend to get better results when I'm throwing baits that I have confidence in. Keep in mind that out of the 10-15 baits I bring on the boat, probably 5 of those will be slammers haha

I like having a system going. Just a few baits as a strategy for that day. I use two sometimes three pencil boxes to hold some baits and at least one is for baits that have gotten wet. I don't like mixing dry and wet baits. When off water I empty box and air dry baits on carboard boxes. It is good to have system because you usually will be beat at end of trip.

When I first started I would bring everything I owned for Swimbait's. Now I try to just bring a few that fit every part of the water column and will change it up depending on where I'm going that day. Some days I wish I brought more and some days I only throw one bait that I brought with me. By bringing less baits I find that I get to know each one a little better when I have less to choose from.