What weight rod to get

woose1992

I am starting out and have been advised towards the Fury 795, Guide select or daiwa dx. For the Okuma and daiwa there are different power ratings and I'm not sure which one to go after. I don't have any big baits now but I want to be able to throw a 8" huddleston but also a 6" and smaller baits too. I hear some rods like the Dobyns are overrated on weight. Would it handle the 8"? How about the H okuma (rated to 6oz but I hear otherwise)? Same question for the Daiwa. I would like to only buy one rod for now because the cash flow isn't there.

Also if people have other options I'm open to that as well.

Thanks!

the sweet spot on my fury seems to be right at 2-3 ounces. imo its the perfect rod for hud 68's and 8 inch triple trouts but a 8 inch hud overpowers it. I wouldn't go over 4 ounces on it otherwise it feels like it starts to buckle. Its an awesome rod for the price but it might not be what your looking for if your thinking about throwing a 8 inch hud on a regular occasion.

the sweet spot on my fury seems to be right at 2-3 ounces. imo its the perfect rod for hud 68's and 8 inch triple trouts but a 8 inch hud overpowers it. I wouldn't go over 4 ounces on it otherwise it feels like it starts to buckle. Its an awesome rod for the price but it might not be what your looking for if your thinking about throwing a 8 inch hud on a regular occasion.

You're referring to the MH model correct?

XH.

H Okuma is good, but I feel like it's too overpowered even with an 8" Hudd. Too soft.

x2 I have the H and the ratings are not accurate. It says 1-6 but in my experience it's more like 3/4 - 3.5. Even with 4 ounces it loads up in a way that I do not like. It is a very soft rod and I honestly would not recommend it for jig hook baits. 

One rod is just not going to work well for everything you mention. You might want to consider something like the 795 and just limit yourself to smaller swimbaits until you get a 2nd heavier rod for 8" Hudds and baits like that.

Hallelujah..there is no miracle rod!

I started with the Okuma XXH...no bait too big!  Then later buy rods for lighter baits

I would really like to buy the XXH but I need information.  how does it feel with... hudd 68, hudd 8'', hudd 10'', deps 175, deps 250, river2sea 168, river2sea 200?

Would you use it for yellowfin, or rockfish in the ocean?