Okuma guide select "a" H or XH?

cm1021

So I'm new to swimbait fishing and and trying to decide which action rod to buy. I would like to throw some 8" hudds and sometime maybe something larger but right now it will mostly be 5-7" bullshad, mission fish, rising son, Hudd 68, etc. So my question is should I go heavy action 1-6oz or XH 2-8. Can the XH throw the smaller baits okay?

Someone with the XH can chime in on how well it throws the smaller stuff. But as someone who owns the H, I will never throw anything over 4 ounces on it. I tried the Savage Gear 8" 3D real trout and even that I am putting aside until I get a heavier rod. I wouldn't even consider Hudds, and not just for casting, I'd have little confidence in hooksets. It does throw the 68 nicely though. If you absolutely had to you could lob hudds with it without breaking the rod but it just doesn't feel right trying to cast things that heavy with it and I can't get good distance at those weights. 

I own the XH. I don't like the way it loads up with anything less than 5-6 oz. Just my preference. I own the original guide select H and if the "a" heavy is anything like the original you have plenty of power to plow them on a 8" hudd or weedless RS

Either will be a good choice. Nobody I know of ever started swimbaiting with the intentions of EVER throwing a 10-12 in bait. Let's face it. Most of us end up on that dark road eventually.

Edited by greenhornet

I have the Xh and just went through this as I'm new to all this. I went with the xh because I felt a little better, (stiffer, more stout) to me. I have no issues throwing the 68 special or 6" Huddleston. I throw mainly the bigger hudds ROF 5 and 12 it does that with ease. I also have and throw 10" triple Trout, some 8" glides baits and punker. My buddy has the H and used my XH and really liked how it felt.

I don't know about the H model but we use the XH pretty much exclusively for the 250 and it works great. I'm sure it would be a good rod for the hudd although it feels like it might be a bit overpowered for the 8". Not by much though. Smaller baits would probably feel wrong. You could throw them but they wouldn't feel right and casting distance would probably suffer.

Had the chance to handle both at the same time and they feel like two entirely different animals! They both load nicely and have a nice parabolic action to them. My brother owns the H and although I think it is capable of throwing 8" hudds, I probably wouldn't bomb the bait on it. If you need lots of distance with the 8", go with the beefier XH. The H sounds perfect for everything else you mentioned. Hope this helps!

I own both the H and XH (Guide Select "A" versions) and the comments here have pretty much nailed it.  Though the ratings may overlap on the rods, in reality they really don't.  I wouldn't pull the XH out for anything under 3oz, it just won't load, which is just about where the Heavy tops out.  Unless you're going to stick to 3oz or less, you're going to need both but I'd get the H first.  There is a iRod floating around here somewhere that may be to your liking as well.  Hope this helps.

I need any information or facts about use from anybody who owns an Okuma sbx. please help

Im sure the guys here would be happy to help with your request but I suggest starting a new thread so that more people see it and so that it doesn't hijack this thread.