The Theory of Rat Swimbaits

Zack Carscaddon

Hey all I wanted to start a topic that I've been thinking about recently "The Theory of Rat's".

I have heard that bass hate snakes and the more "rat" bait's I see they look more like brown or black snakes than any rat. They way they move as a bait usually slithers as well, especially the 3 part rat swimbaits.

So my question is are bass confused and attacking the baits as snakes? Should we start calling them snakes instead and painting them as such? Which have you had the most success with a 2 or 3 part "rat" bait?

Also does anyone have any advise on brands? I've stumbled across this company does anyone have any TrapBassBaits https://www.instagram.com/trapbassbaits/?hl=enaits/?hl=en ?

Any advise is helpful. I've tried searching so if there is another thread feel free to post the link.

Thanks,

Zack

Hey Zack! A few weeks ago there was a thread here about why Bass might target rats and include them in their food chain.My personal preference for rats are the Triple Trout Nezuma Rat in XL with the standard lip.That particular brand and size has worked for me but I'm sure others have preferences that have proved effective also.Anyways I'm including my thoughts on why Bass target rats and why:

I will share with you guys that Bass certainly know rats are rats when it's raining.When heavy rain comes down many low lying areas near a body of water are subject to minor/moderate flooding which forces many rodents to move looking for uncompromised places to shelter themselves until finding a permanent home. Rodents will enter the water in order to flee the flooded area and Big Bass associate big rains like a dinner bell.Easy meals that don't require a lot of energy to attain.Like picking low hanging fruit that will keep them full and happy for a day or two.

So while it may not be the most popular or comfortable time to fish, break out your rats when rainy season starts in your area and enjoy those unforgettable toilet flushes that occur when a bass inhales a rat and goes straight down with it! Your photos might come out crappy but the results will speak for themselves. Rain=Rats

Hey Zack! A few weeks ago there was a thread here about why Bass might target rats and include them in their food chain.My personal preference for rats are the Triple Trout Nezuma Rat in XL with the standard lip.That particular brand and size has worked for me but I'm sure others have preferences that have proved effective also.Anyways I'm including my thoughts on why Bass target rats and why:

I will share with you guys that Bass certainly know rats are rats when it's raining.When heavy rain comes down many low lying areas near a body of water are subject to minor/moderate flooding which forces many rodents to move looking for uncompromised places to shelter themselves until finding a permanent home. Rodents will enter the water in order to flee the flooded area and Big Bass associate big rains like a dinner bell.Easy meals that don't require a lot of energy to attain.Like picking low hanging fruit that will keep them full and happy for a day or two.

So while it may not be the most popular or comfortable time to fish, break out your rats when rainy season starts in your area and enjoy those unforgettable toilet flushes that occur when a bass inhales a rat and goes straight down with it! Your photos might come out crappy but the results will speak for themselves. Rain=Rats

+1 on that.

Many moons ago when I used to fish Castiac Lagoon at night, I would see a brown mammal swimming out from the shore out towards open water, I wasn't sure what they were , they were too large for rats, but there movement was the same fluid movement , snake like? They always made me curious and they were times where a cannonball blast would happen mid lake and I would wonder???

Edited by brushhawg1

Many moons ago when I used to fish Castiac Lagoon at night, I would see a brown mammal swimming out from the shore out towards open water, I wasn't sure what they were , they were too large for rats, but there movement was the same fluid movement , snake like? They always made me curious and they were times where a cannonball blast would happen mid lake and I would wonder???

Nutria are big rats and a Delta bass delight

The Nezuma XL rats are available with two types of lips: the standard lip and the waking lip.

According to Scott the standard lip is a modified coffin lip: a little wider & a little shorter.The standard lip's line tie is in line with the bait and out the nose.The waking lip is a cow tongue and is more vertical in the bait.The wake lip has a larger line tie under the nose.The wake lip rat stays on top at faster speeds and if you pop it repeatedly it is easier to walk in place.

View attached photos for comparison of Standard Lip -vs- Waking Lip.Hope this visual helps!

Did not believe in using rats until I saw them swimming in my local waters. I think what I saw where muskrats and they go from the cattails into water and swim around grass. Tied on a brown swimjig with beaver style plastic and swam it through grass and hooked up. Also have good luck slightly weighting brown frogs and walk them across top of shallow grass areas.

Edited by Homie