Swimbait x Salt Reels

M4TT

ok so this is more of a question for the socal guys.. 

do you have a reel you use for swimbaits that you also take in the ocean for calico/spotties/sand bass? I've seen some people saying they use their TE's, calcutta Ds or curado 300s but just wanted more input before i pull the trigger. 

also, what do you do after fishing to the reel to rinse it? 

Ive been using my bass gear for rockcod for years when fishing from my kayak.  I just make sure to loosen the drag all the way, wash with fresh water, let dry, then oil. Recently I've used my calcutta D and my Komodo SS since it has a rugged frame and all stainless steel internals

Contrary to what someone above posted. You want to tighten the drag down all the way. Rinse with water, then dry with a towel. Lastlt loosen drag all the eay and let dry. Gotta tighten drag all the way to keep water out of drag washers. Also when you rinse, dont spray with a hose or turn your sink full blast. A trickle of water is best. Warm water is optimal to wash off the salt. I fish in san diego where i fish for bass and go saltwater in the same day. All my reels are fine. I use my calcutta conquest, abu revo toro beast 60, metanium mgl, and others in the salt and they are all fine

By made for that does that mean no washing required??? I have a beast 61 and I have thought of using it in salt for some time now

Proper care of your equipment is VITAL!!! ALWAYS...ALWAYS rinse your reels after use in saltwater.  I rinse off my saltwater reels when I get done in the ocean...

Proper care of your equipment is VITAL!!! ALWAYS...ALWAYS rinse your reels after use in saltwater.  I rinse off my saltwater reels when I get done in the ocean...

thanks, never done any ocean fishing except big game on a charter boat, so I don't know much about it.

My lexas have seen their fair share of saltwater since 2013 and they're still runnin just fine... I soak them after every trip and strip them down every few months (more so out of boredom rather than necessity). Gonna take a crack at polishing the gears this weekend.

I will come in at the other end of the spectrum as far as taking my freshwater gear to the salt. In my experience, no piece of tackle is EVER the same after being exposed to salt water. Salt water wrecks tackle, I don't care how much you wash it or rinse it out. If you are able to keep it totally out of the water, as in no submersion or splashes, then a thorough rinse is typically good enough, but if the reel is splashed or submerged, you can kiss that silky smoothness good bye. Will the reel still work, and work well, yes, but saltwater has a strong tendency to make spinning reels whine and squeak. If you plan on getting a reel to handle both, make certain it is designed for both uses, however, I still say invest in freshwater gear as well as salt gear, your freshwater gear will thank you. 

This has been my experience with fly-fishing gear as well as spinning gear, time and time again.