DVL- still no luck, but getting closer

Vedak

Went out to DVL this saturday from 630am-345pm.

Two friends and I fished the second cove with no success, but we did however see many good size fish swimming by us the entire day. How cruel they were to just swim by, stare at the bait and move on.

This was my second trip out there, and although returning home empty handed- I was a lot more confident. Seeing the fish so close gave me the reassurance that they were around and lurking. So next time I'll get them! It was also really exciting to just see them, since it was my first time seeing a bass.

We used just about everything: Senkos, Live Crawfish, BA Armageddon Trout, Baby Wake Shad, Freestyle Herring Shad, Green No Bull Frog, White No Bull Frog, Kastmaster, 6'' Weedless Huds, 8'' Hud Trout, 8'' CL8 Possum, and a few others. Of all the ones we used, the three that got the most interest was the White No Bull Frog, Senko setup, and Shad FS Herring.

I have also assumed my type of retrieve may not have been good enough for them. SMART fish! The entire day they went up and down the shore patrolling, we counted at least 5 of a good size.

DVL-2 Mud-0

I won't let this place beat me again next time!

The fish were actually close enough for me to take pictures, but the camera didn't pick them up too well.

I'm more than willing to take any advice you guys may have.

fishy-1.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand wanting to throw everything but next time stick with 1 or 2 baits that you are confident a fish there will bite at least until you stick some fish. Leave the senko and dads at home if your goal is to catch a swimbait fish.

The Senko and Craw was used by my friend. yeah I figured it would be easier to stick with one bait. But split between three people and 9 hours, we were putting in some time on a lure before making another switch.

Next time I'll just bring a Hud and Baby wake. Force myself to just use those two only, and save some weight at the same time.

If you look recently, Fisher has been kicking out some toads deadsticking a Castaic Platinum out at DVL. From shore, also JBbassin has been deadsticking a 10" Freestyle and has had luck recently to. Patience is the name of the game in 25ft.+ visibility.

If you look recently, Fisher has been kicking out some toads deadsticking a Castaic Platinum out at DVL. From shore, also JBbassin has been deadsticking a 10" Freestyle and has had luck recently to. Patience is the name of the game in 25ft.+ visibility.

Lol yeah dam fisher n the platinum!!!! Love that bait landed my first 2 sb fish on that bait some lil tricks if u want it to float right 8-)

Vedak...confidence!!! When you pick a bait and CONFIDENTLY work it,it makes a difference believe it or not..look at your tackle box like a tool box and take the time and learn each tool thoroughly before you pick up the next tool.people get caught up in just buying baits to have when they havent even learned how to fish baits they already have.theres no way you gave the baits enough time before switching,the reason i say that is because you were only there 9 hours

;)

By no means am I a heavyweight in the big bait world but I learn everybait I own thoroughly.

Good luck brutha :D

yes sir. I'll start working on a system to bring only 2 or 3 baits. My last trip out there I lost 3 baits in an hour, so I felt the need to bring my whole arsenal. Which usually tempts me to try them all in a day.

Nobody's setting you on fire, but I do agree, try to stick to just a few Baits per trip( doesn't hurt to have a few extra with you in case you lose some :? ) ,stick to a specific game plan, and if you see the fish are doing something else, switch up. I've been talking to some of the guys who have fished the lake more than I have in the last 2-3 years, and I have figured out what I am going to do. I already know what usually catches fish there, so i have that, I have some other stuff i have got stoked on from using it recently, and I have some spots in mind. Personally, I wish i was fishing on the shore, but will take advantage of the boat. Its gonna be interesting .... 8-)

Nobody's setting you on fire, but I do agree, try to stick to just a few Baits per trip( doesn't hurt to have a few extra with you in case you lose some :? ) ,stick to a specific game plan, and if you see the fish are doing something else, switch up. I've been talking to some of the guys who have fished the lake more than I have in the last 2-3 years, and I have figured out what I am going to do. I already know what usually catches fish there, so i have that, I have some other stuff i have got stoked on from using it recently, and I have some spots in mind. Personally, I wish i was fishing on the shore, but will take advantage of the boat. Its gonna be interesting .... 8-)

Great intel there Danny!

For the life of me I can't seem to use the Hudd effectively. :roll: I think next time I will just bring soft baits, though I might have to smuggle my Wake Jrs. with me. ;)