Most Productive Night Scenario

LUV-2-CATCH'EM

When it comes to night fishing...what is YOUR prime time Scenario?

Full Moon, Half? Moon high...Low...

You prefer a wake bait up top like a Ms Slammer or you in the middle with a Rising Son or Hudd...Maybe you on the bottom with a Mission Fish or similar type bait?

Maybe you only throw a rat?

What color do you prefer ? Black or white or neither...

Water temp...time of year better than others...

Situation...You like to wake a bait along a line of Tulles? or focus on docks with lights...or points with grass?...what do you look for specifically?

Just trying to get a feel for options I may of overlooked personally and see what everyone else is doing.

Personally I Mostly prefer a Wake bait

Black/Brown is the color I prefer...

Baits I throw:

* By the ones I have had the most success with

(TOP)

7in Ms Slammer in black/Green tail

Morning wood Rat-Brown (2 Pc and 3 PC & Rago Alpha rat-Brown (Large)

*Red/Black 3:16 FS Floater

(MIDDLE)

Rising Son (Black)

*4.3in and 5.8in Keitech Fat Swing (Black/Green)

(BOTTOM)

HUDD 68 & 8 Inch

Money Minnow (All Sizes)

3:16 Rising Son (Origional rigged weedless)

SCENARIO: Parallel cast along long lines of Tulles/reeds in 2-6 foot of water and marianas with lights and docks/boat houses

-Hope this wasn't a previous topic...after a quick search I didn't find one...

Thanks-Justin

Neat question - I think there have been others that ask about parts of it, but this might be the first that asks about the whole enchilada.

Here's my response:

Moon: 3/4 full, and somewhere between 1/2 to completely overhead at the prime time.

Weather: Thunderstorms dancing on the horizon, but far enough away that they're not affecting me - light shows, unsettled weather, but no chance of getting electrocuted.

Wind: light wind creating a bit of light chop on the water, but not so much that you can't see a clear wake from a bait.

What I throw: 9" MS Slammer in light trout (at least it used to be light trout - it's kind of bare wood + light trout now)

Time of year: Mid- to late-summer, water temperature in the high 60s to low 70s

Where: Really, anywhere I think there might be bass.  If I had to pick one situation that just gets me all twitchy, it would be over submerged seedbeds rising to within 1 - 2 ft of the surface, with random and isolated deep pockets and channels.

Water clarity: nice and clear, with at least 4' of visibility.

When I find those conditions, I just know things are going to get real.  My best nights of wake bait fishing have occurred under those conditions.

I find that wake bait work best for me during the full moon and the new moon. During the full moon i feel that you need to fish a wake bait slower and more "Finesse" since they can see it better. On the contrary during a new moon you need to really make that bait clack for them to crack it. I feel that a wake bait is always a good option no matter the moon phase. In regards to other baits, I think that baits like a rising son and hudds are best on a full moon. During the new moon phases, I like a rago weedless( because of its thump), as well as many other hard baits like a TT and hardgill. One of the baits I find unproductive at night is a lunker punker, they get smashed but ther's to much movement and they seem to have a real hard time getting the bait well. Another style of bait I tend not to throw, are glide baits. To me they don't really move that much water, and are much more of a visual bait. I bet you can get bit on them but for me i find strait retrieve baits to be better. I hope this helps. 

i love wake baits.. no need to fish a sub surface bait at night imho.. baits ive had a lot of succes on are wake jrs,ms slammers, floating frerestyles, mattlures hard gills, rats like the nez and od rat, and floating triple trouts... i like billed wakes on a windy night and a lipless floating  wakebait on more calm nights.. rats are always a great producer around stucture.. i prefer at least a half moon at night for a bit better visibility.. i try to fish the same things that i would during the day docks laydowns and chunk rock banks etc... i fish more slowly and methodically at night.. allowing the fish to track the bait and get a good solid strike on the bait.. time of year i like late spring into early fall when the water temps are between 65-82 degrees. water clarity matters less at night because i feel like the fish are using there lateral line a lot more than their eyes to track their prey but at least 2' of visibilty is ideal for my style of fishing.

Man looks like the most popular night bait is a Wake Bait... I remember hearing Mickey talk about using the Mission Fish and fishing it in the Grass at night...

Not sure what color/size he was using but it got me thinking...- I fish a pond on a regular basis that is most productive at night and as a larger grass flat...a few good fish on the Alpha Rat but not on a regular basis. I can get above the grass and shine a light down and see multiple fish 5-8lbs with their nose down into the grass!?!? Not sure what they are doing? But they are not seeing my wake up above... I know if I can get a Mission Fish infront of them they should bite...not sure what's up with them being nose down buring their heads?

Thanks for all the input guys...Keep'em coming please

I'll keep grinding the wake but I got to figure out how to catch the strange grass fish...

i just started night fishing last year so i havent really figured out what situations are best for me. my top bait is an all black 9inch slammer! the thing gets chewed!  i have to ponds i hammered last year at night and they were the exact opposite.  

pond #1. deep very clear. i didnt get bit on wakes or even swimbaits here. jigs chatterbaits and texas rig was my #1 producer. i think they were feeding heavy on craws so i assume thats the reason.  i only fished one spot! i tried others but one area always produced!  had very little luck any where else on the lake.  the area that produced was a series of  cement walls you can walk out a ways. it had a current connecting the 2 ponds! there were many times where they would sit at the mouth and youll bang a few fish. off the walls it dropped to 20 feet or so like 20-50 yards out.  the time of year was late may early june, then the drought came and very little water flowing through and it dropped a few feet. that spot died. 
the pond that is connected to this spot is smaller and shallower! so i fished the out flow, it wasnt as deep as the other side. but there was a rocky wall. i had some luck on the same baits as the other side, also had luck on swimbaits here! hudd night stalker 68, musky plugs and slammers!  id  fish these 2 ponds in a single night  cuz i have to walk past the small pond to get to the bigger pond. 
i had better action here but nothing over 5 biggest was 4.9. caught a 4lbs smallie here as well

spot 2 . i started fishing early june and throught the summer.  this spot was clear and very shallow. nights were slow but i would catch a handfull of good fish, some nights id only catch one. it was at least a 4lbser.  but i only fished big wake baits due to the abundant weeds!  id cast anywhere.  to trees, in the middle, weed edges!  i lost a big fish one night, used a muskie plug at 3 am. middle of the pond. wind was blowing so increased my speed.   this pond i had quality fish. many 5s out of here but not 6 plus.  

i fished a few other ponds as well but didnt really hammer them like i did these other 2 spots! i will be expanding my nightfishing to other ponds!  one night first time night fishing here! caught a 6lbser lost another good fish a cast before!  

This probably doesn't apply to elsewhere, but in the South.. The best time is on or about the new moon in the hottest months of the year. June, July, August. During that period get any big topwater that makes a ruckus, preferably black in color, and get to chucking!

I like new moon the best for fishing clear water lakes off colored waters in my area fish better on brighter moon nights, key in a moon shade lines is always a killer pattern. Slammers Wake-Jr + Rat baits are the hard baits I like best, soft plastics like the Real-Prey Golden Shiner and 3:16 Rising Son both move a ton of water and are proven good night time baits. Color is a personal preference, whites on bright nights and dark on dark nights is what I use mostly. Slow a steady retrieves at night work best on my New England Lakes + Ponds. Think Spring.-Dan 

post-17904-0-74705900-1490979701_thumb.jpg

im in arizona and i love, love to night fish...lets see small moon around slips with lights... the main dock i use has a big rip rap 45 degree water detention thing.... hammer them casting parallel with the wall on a football head.. fun fun times... my 9inch slammer is in mikes hands should be here in 3 weeeks, just for these slips. marina staff give u a lil grief fishing them in the day... oh ya, very clear deep resevoir 115 degree arizona sun during the day f that