Bank swimbait fishing

SoCalSwim

Ive actually beat the same spot up with the same lure for hrs (talking about the casting into the same area the size of a car) and standing in the same spot, retied different bait on recast a lil to the right to check swim and landed a few on the check alone

As others have stated, try Topwater floating baits (Wakes and Multi-joints). Fish parallel to the shore first, making a cast right near shore and working away. Then fish that same topwater on points. This tactic works well to cover water effectively.

If that doesn't work, try a Glide or Slow Sink and work it similarly on the point.

Lastly, try Bottom bouncing up the point and parallel to the shore at different depths.

This will help you figure out what the patterns that work are at different times of the year.

Once you start sticking some, you'll be able to kind of tell what they're doing at different times of the year and can make yourself a little milk run from shore that'll kee your bait in high percentage water

To wrap it up, here and there mix in some unorthodox approaches or new baits and see if that gets you different bites.

As others have stated, try Topwater floating baits (Wakes and Multi-joints). Fish parallel to the shore first, making a cast right near shore and working away. Then fish that same topwater on points. This tactic works well to cover water effectively.

If that doesn't work, try a Glide or Slow Sink and work it similarly on the point.

Lastly, try Bottom bouncing up the point and parallel to the shore at different depths.

This will help you figure out what the patterns that work are at different times of the year.

Once you start sticking some, you'll be able to kind of tell what they're doing at different times of the year and can make yourself a little milk run from shore that'll kee your bait in high percentage water

To wrap it up, here and there mix in some unorthodox approaches or new baits and see if that gets you different bites.

I'm definitely trying this....

Would you recommend  trying big lures first and going down or the other way around?

I'm definitely trying this....

Would you recommend  trying big lures first and going down or the other way around?

Completely up to you, but an easy answer is to try and match the size of fish the bass are eating mostly at any given body of water and season.

If you wanna specifically target the "big girls" then typically stay on the bigger sized baits.

If you wanna get more numbers, then throw smaller. Sometimes I'll throw smaller when I think they're targeting Shad, and after a catch or two I'll change up to a bigger presentation. Remember, just cause the bass are targeting Shad, doesn't mean there aren't true big ones targeting smaller bass that are chasing the Shad.

Only other thing I will note is to play with your retrieve. This is completely where your skill has to come in.

Start with a basic medium retrieve, and from there start playing with it to see what actions you can get out of your bait, and apply it accordingly.

Time on the water always trumps all. Keep casting fellas and have fun

Fishing from shore gives you a huge stealth advanadvantage, use it! Try sneaking into places boats can't go. Some of my best glide fish have come on lakes that allow boating, but places that the boats can't go like on and around dams. Most fish in big lakes here in Cali are familiar with big glides. Finding fish that havent seen them is always nice. Remember, start small and get bites then get into the big bait game.

I fish 95% from the bank. One thing I have found is you have to be creative. Also a strong knowledge of the body of water you are fishing is a HUGE plus. It will take time to figure out where the fish are, when they are there and what it will take to trigger that strike!

I like to fish a smaller bait(as far as swimbaits go) in heavily pressured areas to locate fish or find a pattern. Then move to a larger profile to try and get a bigger fish.

My go to baits from shore are 68 special, 8" hudd, 7" X2 slammer, spro 50 rat, 6" bullshad, WRS and Swaiver 200. All are fairly inexpensive and highly effective. Definite confidence builders.

Try using a bait and fishing it in multiple different ways. For example with a slammer, try a steady retrieve, then a slower steady retrieve, the a retrieve with pauses, then I'll even try popping it like a spook or even dead sticking with the occasional twitch. There are so many ways to work each bait.

Get to know about each bait. Get to know your body of water and most of all...step outside the box. Be different that everyone else out fishing the bank. One of my favorite places I fish has a lot of other fisherman. I can consistently go out and catch multiple bass a trip. Nothing huge but I still catch fish in front of the other conventional fisherman.

You are going to lose baits, it's going to happen. Build your confidence with the less expensive baits and learn where the structure is and the rewards will come!

Keep grinding and working that bank!!

Thanks guys. I have actually been throwing an old AC plug its a awesome wake bait. Since the posting of this topic I have been fishing twice. And have gotten two strikes on the hudd just from completely changing my retrieve. My current arsenal has been strictly hudds as of late and one wake bait.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to give you guys an update. I have caught my first swimbait fish about a month ago and going to post a picture soon. it came from a multi jointed 8 inch bait. it was not from shore but since i am having boat issues I am going to be back to bank fishing. Thanks a lot swumbait underground you guys are great. 

Congrats on your first swimbait fish! Way to stick with it, i know it wasn't easy because I was in the same spot not too long ago haha. Hopefully your second fish will come easier, good luck.