DRT Varial Handle

Abobass

Oh, neat. Didn't know about the gear ratio change

It may make it feel easier to reel but it doesn't change the actual gear ratio. The only way to do that is to change the amount of teeth on the main gear and pinion. One turn off the handle still equals the same amount of line even if you had a 300 mm handle

It may make it feel easier to reel but it doesn't change the actual gear ratio. The only way to do that is to change the amount of teeth on the main gear and pinion. One turn off the handle still equals the same amount of line even if you had a 300 mm handle

Correct..we go thru this every few months..it doesn't change the actual gearing but it definitely changes a ratio..example..think of a two different size tires.. put a mark at a zero point..at the same speed of rotation it will take slightly longer for the larger tire to return to zero..still one rotation..same with the reel handle..still same ipt but if you reel both at the same physical speed then technically your retrieve should slow a bit in duration of time

You're simply gaining more leverage making it feel easier to crank. The is no increased torque applied on the spool.

Yep, this is what I meant. With a longer radius and the same amount force you can achieve greater torque...or you can get the same amount of torque as before with a smaller force. Either way is a win win.

The word everyone is looking for here is "mechanical advantage". The handle is a lever, increasing the length of a lever increases your mechanical advantage reducing your workload. I'm not an engineer but I did just help my 3rd grader complete a science project about simple machines.

Correct..we go thru this every few months..it doesn't change the actual gearing but it definitely changes a ratio..example..think of a two different size tires.. put a mark at a zero point..at the same speed of rotation it will take slightly longer for the larger tire to return to zero..still one rotation..same with the reel handle..still same ipt but if you reel both at the same physical speed then technically your retrieve should slow a bit in duration of time

It translates into your hand traveling farther which some may see as a disavantage. The bike analgy works better if you change the pedal length instead of the tire size. Changing the tire size would equal changing the spool size , which you can't do. I've seen the math on a 100mm handle it translates into about a 20% difference from a stock 85-90mm handle which in reel world translate into maybe a second of change. What you're trying to put into words is efficiency.

20% per handle turn? That would definitely add time to retrieve duration..it may be a few seconds only but it's def makes a difference..that's why stock handles on cranking reels aren't long..if they were then gearing would change to compensate