Round vs Low profile reels - Is there a difference in casting distance?

Dc5drewmiester

Hey SU. I've been fishing my cardiff 300 for a bit now and started to wonder if there is any benefit to having a low profile reel. I know that it's personal preference for palming the reels, but how about casting distance?

Will a Lexa 300/Curado 300/EXO 300 outcast a cardiff or round reels in general? Would like some feedback from your experience. Thanks!

I'd say more of a noticeable difference comes from bearing quality, line quality, non disengaging levelwinds, casting mechanics and using the proper rod. I wouldn't say one outcasts the other. Everything being equal I would say maybe a low pro outcasts a round just based on the extra bit of distance the line has to travel to come off the spool.

I bought a used Cardiff 300 online and received an EXO 300 from some awesome dudes here on SU. The EXO does outcast the cardiff when fishing smaller baits, but it's actually less comfortable to hold and cast than the cardiff imo because of its size. I personally couldn't find much difference when casting bigger baits with both reels. Maybe I just love my Cardiff too much haha

Agree with Frog Man, I think quality of the reel makes the biggest difference overall.

From my experience the Daiwa Zillion cast super far and very smooth when doing so.

Also, I get great distance from my Daiwa Luna as well. In comparison, I've fished the Okuma Citrix 364, and the Cardiff, and they casted well but not as far or as smooth as the higher end ones. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the beatings, but maybe there's other parts that are better on the higher priced reels that help.

Interesting topic

Agree with Frog Man, I think quality of the reel makes the biggest difference overall.

From my experience the Daiwa Zillion cast super far and very smooth when doing so.

Also, I get great distance from my Daiwa Luna as well. In comparison, I've fished the Okuma Citrix 364, and the Cardiff, and they casted well but not as far or as smooth as the higher end ones. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the beatings, but maybe there's other parts that are better on the higher priced reels that help.

Interesting topic

I too have the Citrix 364. Spooled with 25lb line, my round reel Abu ambassador 5500 with 20lb line can cast almost twice as far with almost any lure I tie on.. one is brand new the other is 2 years old

In my opinion I think that where the pinch point is on the rod with each reel would be the biggest difference in casting distance. All things being equal except for the reel, the set up with the pinch point farthest from the reel, will cast with the most distance. That's just my opinion anyway.

I think as long as you have a decent reel your good the rod plays such a factor that we overlook especialy with big baits sometimes. We just think as long as it can handel the weight of the lure but the rod still has to load up right and you gotta have the right top section to make precession placments