STE rigging vs BB rigging vs Jig Hook

Campobassmaster

I know there's been some topics on this but my idiocy with the search bar didn't help much and I haven't seen a topic comparing the STE to BB rig or all 3 of these at once.

I remember hearing somewhere by Butch or Matt Allen that "Belly trebles kill fish" and was wondering how?

Why would the STE guys use their rig instead of Butch's? I remember its because they don't drag the bottom as much, but how is it more beneficially to have the bottom stinger/treble rather than a top hook version?

Just wanted to make a more recent discussion on this!

I'm not a fan of bottom hooking swimbaits as I slow roll most of mine on or near the bottom. From what I see is that the stinger hooks and bottom hooks have a tendency to hook a fish deeper in the throat or in the tongue ( base of the gills ) A single hook in the roof of the mouth is much easier and quicker to remove since they are usually not nearly as far down the fishes throat. That's just my opinion anyway.

My hudd strikes have all been chokers on a jig hook....I am not feeling the butch brown rig, cuz there is alot of possible movement of that hook....now out east peeps in the know do the ste rig for rof 0 hudds and they have not had issues with harming fish. I think the smaller hooks used has something to do with it....but honestly I bought all of the crimp equipment and am not that confident with it just yet. Eventually my jig hooks will need a bb replacement.....

I regret cutting off my jig hooks for the BB rig.....

+1, wish I did not chop all my jig hooks off. Jig hook is great for fishing around timber and grass. Variety is nice.

I prefer Butch rig on ROF5 for rocks and hard structure. 

Jig hook for wood and grass, typically in deeper water.

One of the most important reasons you don't rig a bottom hook on soft baits is your way to likely to hook gills if your bait is choked, which we all know how often hudds, mags, etc get choked. That pic of top ramens fish, picture a bottom hook on that and it would be very likely that fish might not swim away. Not every time I'm saying this will happen and I'm not hating on bottom hook guys, but if your likely enough to kill your catch why do it. B.B. Or jig hooks do just fine

Wait.... so even if a hook just punctures a gill a little bit like in the lower part of its mouth/tongue area, then the fish will most likely die?

No, it is not certain, but it could happen. That's why it is important to get them back in the water ASAP especially if they are bleeding. A fish's blood won't clot unless it is in water. ( liquid )