Gillrilla Glutton

Beau Carlile

Got this big girl this past saturday on the Gillrilla. But first, rewind to the previous weekend when I took the bait out for the first time, I lost two fish and on my second to last cast before going home I get a rats nest and cast it off... I strip down and jump in, 30 minutes of searching with no luck. I go back the next day with a pair of goggles and find it almost immediately and go straight home. Now back to this past Saturday I go back to the same lake with the recovered bait, get there around 7. At 10am I make a long cast and when the bait is 10 feet from shore a nice 5 comes out of nowhere and brushes up against the bait (Lake is 15ft+ visibility). I give it a couple hard pops with the reel and she slams it, I only got 1 quatro treble in her and she came off mid-flip. Super bummed I keep fishing, making my way down the bank when I pull up on two good ones at about 11:30. They are sitting in 3 feet of water on sand with no structure looking towards shore with the weed line 10-15 feet behind them so I back up trying not to spook them and bomb a cast way in front and past them. Let it sink a couple feet and start a slow retrieve. Once the bait is about to pass the weed line the bigger of the two starts swimming head on towards my bait while the other leaves and gets out of her way. After the bait passes the weed line she gets right behind it and I pop that bait as hard as I could without loosing control of the glide and I’ve never seen a fish so hot and aggressive she was directly beneath the bait practically touching it and was so locked on to the baits head wherever it glided, she immediately changed her head the same direction looking for a headhsot and right before the bait ran into the shore and she destroyed it. I swung on her hard and she took drag instantly, at this point she’s right in front of me and I only made a couple cranks and flip her. She pops off and starts flopping back into the water but I jump in and bear hug that b!ch. She was PIST I put her back in the water immedielty to let her breath before some pictures and she almost shook free 3 or 4 times. She was 23.5 x 16.5. My scale was dead and got anywhere from 7-9 on some fish calculators, I’m calling her 8, any opinions?

post-25430-0-19711600-1496289403_thumb.jpg

post-25430-0-36919600-1496289482_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beau Carlile