cold fronts ( power plant lake)

irnwrkr392

Ok guys, been digging through and can't find anything. I've got my first tourney this weekend. Everyone knows the crazy weather we been having. 80 degree weather. Fish usually spawn in this lake in march. Tourney is on sat, cold front coming in on wed. From a big bait standpoint what would you do? Can't get down there early. So look for bedding fish? Or move out? Thanks for any help, Mike.

Mike,

I'm new to the swimbait game though I have had some success lately in the under 5lb category. :lol: I do know fish and power plant lakes pretty well. I fished one with the conditions you were describing 10 days ago. We found fish on the edges of vegetation (at this lake it was a new grass line sprouting) with timber on it. Most of it was on the edge of a large feeding flat on the Northern part of the lake. They were stacked there in about 6-8 ft of water and then as the day progressed we found them in an old lilly pad field running in a trough. The trough was about 5 ft wide, 6 feet deep and had a rise to 3ft on both sides. We fished it thoroughly and got bit pretty well. If you want to look for beds have at it but your bigger fish are going to be staging outside spawning creeks with a fast weather change like that. Most likely you'll only see small bucks guarding if they have even moved up yet. Prespawn fatties are going to be your ticket. Depending on water clarity try a mission fish in 7". Watch the video on the 3:16 site. I was fishing mine right by my brother and I was getting bit while he didnt for a long time. He asked what I was doing different. I told him what it said on the video. A MF bottom bounced like that will imitate a crawfish to some bass. Crawfish usually only hop backwards about two times. So I would keep my line tight and give it two little pops and then let it sit. Next time it moved it usually got hit. My brother was working his more like a spastic line dancer with too much tequila. Once he went to the two twitch and wait method he started putting the hurt on me. It doesn't always work but it has put fish in the boat for me. Once you catch a fish, work the area over good. Take your time. It's tempting to blast and cast but if you know there are fish there, pound em. Piss them off so bad they have to hit your bait.

My .02

http://www.swimbaitunderground.com/videos/83-fishing-the-316-mission-fish

Thanks Chris, I will def give that a try. There is usually plenty of series at the lake I'm fishing. Supposed to be fish in the 8 to 10# range. So hoping to get the big bait bite going. They just revised the forecast. Rain Friday, into Sat now with a little warmer temps. So could be a great tourney!

You said you were fishing a power plant lake; have you explored the water discharge area? I use Google earth if I cain't get down to a lake to pre fish, almost like an overflight. Does it have any spawning flats close to it? I used to fish a lake in S.C. where it had an area called the hot hole. The discharge coming out pretty much kept the temps constant in the area, and the fish pretty much were active though all weather conditions. Just me 2 bits.... what Paynefish said too.

The water discharge is bouyed off a good ways from the power house. Its kinda a messed up lake to fish. Yes there is a flat close. I say its messed up because of some of the rules. Like not being allowed to cast within 10' of any dock.