Night time Top water

brushhawg1

I'm fishing a small , shallow, clear lake. I have see top water strikes and had two fish blow up on my Slammer, hooked one and then it threw the bait. Any advice for subtle top waters? I have tried Rago rat and Buzz jet at various times but nothing. I'm thinking top water should be going off right now. Thanks for any advice.

Wade Hoggs creeped slow is a damn good bait that you can wake or crank down, Matt's hardgill in SS can be worked faster than normal and it will wake as well.

Don't underestimate the approach of cranking a bait just below the surface either in your situation.

A matts hardgill heavy floater fished on fluoro is one of my favorites for fishing ponds at night. Especially this time of year. Stays close enough to the top, but still sits low enough to get those pickier fish to take interest. The heavy float lets you try a variety of retrieves to see if they want it burned or slow, all while staying in that same part of the water column generally. I like the darker patterns at night like jacked up, but that may just be a confidence thing for me. I always tend to fish darker patterns at night.

Thanks for the advice. I don't have most of the lures discussed here but I have thought of trying a Gantarel since it's is a Bluegill forage lake. And as far as " bigger' than the slammer, I have a Deps 250 and a Mag Draft 10" both of which I have thought about trying. I just got a rod large enough to handle these baits. What do you think?

8 or 10" floating 316 freestyle barely creeping it. They swim on the SUPER slow crawl and still make noise. Best night wake Ive used for super subtle presentations. Besides that im throwing lipped wakes from Wade Hoggs to a 12" wake but still moving them very slowly. painfully slow handle turns. 

8 or 10" floating 316 freestyle barely creeping it. They swim on the SUPER slow crawl and still make noise. Best night wake Ive used for super subtle presentations. Besides that im throwing lipped wakes from Wade Hoggs to a 12" wake but still moving them very slowly. painfully slow handle turns. 

In calm water, the floating Freestyles are killer. If it's flat out, I throw a floating Freestyle Trout. 

It's too dark to see much in this video, but here's a 7.5 just inhaling the FS Trout in flat water. I was barely crawling it. She slurped it right down and you don't even see the surface break until I set the hook and she started fighting.

Edited by Top Ramen

I appreciate all the feedback. Unfortunately I don't own any 3:16 baits $$$....So I will take the ideas and try to apply them to my slammer as that what I'm working with. Thanks again for the advice.