Hookup/fish catch Ratio

EC_Flyer

Having some serious trouble getting fish to the boat. The following is the hook/to catch ratio on my top 4 baits this year.

MS 9 inch slammer 18/7  Hooks = Owner st36

Spro large rat 5/0             Hooks = Owner st36

Jackall Ganteral 9/4          I like the feathers too much to change stock hooks

Deps175 3/0                     Stock hooks

I am bringing about 30% of my fish to the boat, many are lost on head shakes but some just come unpinned under water.

I have lost fish on a variety of other baits as well but these are the main baits I am struggling with. These aren't just hits they are hooked fish. My questions for forum...... is this rate close to the same as anyone else?  Some factors, I think some of these fish are between 1-2 pounds and have small mouths, but I am also losing big ones.  Some are long line trolling, hundred plus feet out. 

Any advise or helpful tricks to help me not lose my mind out there.

Thanks

In the last 2 weeks I have been out a few times throwing the punker, I have got 6 fish into the boat and have had just one that was on and came off.  Not counting missed blow ups of course. All were 3-5 lbs.  You might try a thinner wired hook for so it can penetrate a little easier, just keep an eye on them bending.  Also your rod could possibly be too stiff,  everything you listed are treble hook baits so a softer action rod would be better.  I do like to keep the rod tip down and just horse them into the boat and not give them a chance to jump or fight too much.

Sounds like you tend to power in. Don't do this. The harder you pull the more you assist the fish in throwing. Don't force the issue unless you have no choice due to cover and such. Keep your rod tip low, and your drag soft enough to absorb hard movement.

Long line; if you're not using braid you're hurting your chances. Simple as that. I don't care how hard you swing, if you're throwing mono at distance you're not getting a very good hookset.

I set the hook hard no matter what hook I'm using, power the fish in as fast as I reasonably can and I rarely lose them if I get a solid hook-set. I know that's not the popular method here but it's worked for me for a long time.

You're using a needle-point hook, so you should be getting penetration -- what line are you using? Are you setting the hook hard?

First of all thanks for the ideas. I think all the suggestions put forth are valid and its a combination of all of them that have led to the poor ratio. 

I mainly use two rods

#1 Diawa DX swimbait rod Heavy 2-8 oz. 

I use this for larger swimbaits and I do think this rod is to stiff and has cost be some of the fish in question.

#2 G. loomis crank flex deep cranking rod I put this rod into use because of the medium action high flex. Throwing slammer and rat mostly, it has not seemed to help. 

I have a couple other jig rods I use as well, recently started swimbaiting in last couple years and didn't want to commit thousands when I have already spent thousands on fishing setups.

Im throwing 20 lb mono on DX and 15 pond fluro on the loomis, no braid. maybe ill switch, also maybe to needlepoint hooks. Also like my swimbait partner says ill try and stop "horseing" it so much. hes up 11 pounds on me so far this year.

Thanks all

I know a lot of guys fish their drag locked down but I've had better luck with it loose. Put my rod tip 6 inches in the water and just fight the fish. Especially with trebles. A parabolic rod with a high drag in my opinion isn't the best. I want that fish fighting sideways as its coming in. Between keeping rid tip in the water and a loose drag the fish can't even get jump. Just boil on the surface. I'd stick with the st 36 on the slammer. What size hooks are you using?

I know a lot of guys fish their drag locked down but I've had better luck with it loose. 

That's how I make my technique of horsing them in work. I don't really set the drag 'loose' but it's set fairly conservatively and it's far from locked down. As long as they are not pulling drag, I'm pulling and reeling.

I fish all fast action rods and mostly trebled hooked baits. Some days I land every fish I hook, some days I land most and some days a couple, that's just how it goes for me. I personally don't think my hook/land ratio is any worse than anyone else. Some times the fish just don't get hooked well reguardless of rod action, hook type or type of line. My drag isn't locked down but it's pretty tight and I've only had a couple fish that have pulled drag. I also try to get the fish in as quickly as possible because from my personal experience once they start jumping that's when I lose most my fish so getting them in quickly is how I reduce them from jumping (other than keeping the rod tip down.

That's how I make my technique of horsing them in work. I don't really set the drag 'loose' but it's set fairly conservatively and it's far from locked down. As long as they are not pulling drag, I'm pulling and reeling.

I cant imagine fighting a big fish with my drag not locked, good way to lose a fish in heavy cover round here...