Old hooks

R8R

Only hooks u can really sharpen are bronze hooks. Chemically sharpened hooks are not meant to be touched up. I will do that occasionally but hooks last maybe one trip before rusting. Their tips r brittle too....I prefer the largest file I can get my hands on. If u go that route buy a wd 40 pen to apply to fresh edge.

Only hooks u can really sharpen are bronze hooks. Chemically sharpened hooks are not meant to be touched up. I will do that occasionally but hooks last maybe one trip before rusting. Their tips r brittle too....I prefer the largest file I can get my hands on. If u go that route buy a wd 40 pen to apply to fresh edge.

Its a myth that chemically sharpened hooks should not be resharpened.  The chemical process used by the manufacturer is to submit the nearly finished hook to an acid bath.  This removes some of the metal thus producing a sharper hook.  It does not harden the steel - it just removes a bit of it.  Hook manufacturers generally don't want you to try to sharpen these hooks when they are brand new.  Most people will just end up making it duller.  That applies to BRAND NEW hooks only.

However once you have used the bait a bit you should definitely be RESHARPENING the hooks periodically whether they are originally chemically sharpened or not.  This applies to all the needle point hooks out there.  You can also resharpen the Owners with the complicated Cutting Point if you do it carefully.  I would recommend a flat diamond coated sharpener.  Tackle Warehouse has an Eye-Lap one for 6 bucks.  Just don't overdo it.  Most times you just need light pressure and a swipe or two.  I've been doing this for decades without any rust issues ever.

Its a myth that chemically sharpened hooks should not be resharpened. The chemical process used by the manufacturer is to submit the nearly finished hook to an acid bath. This removes some of the metal thus producing a sharper hook. It does not harden the steel - it just removes a bit of it. Hook manufacturers generally don't want you to try to sharpen these hooks when they are brand new. Most people will just end up making it duller. That applies to BRAND NEW hooks only.

However once you have used the bait a bit you should definitely be RESHARPENING the hooks periodically whether they are originally chemically sharpened or not. This applies to all the needle point hooks out there. You can also resharpen the Owners with the complicated Cutting Point if you do it carefully. I would recommend a flat diamond coated sharpener. Tackle Warehouse has an Eye-Lap one for 6 bucks. Just don't overdo it. Most times you just need light pressure and a swipe or two. I've been doing this for decades without any rust issues ever.

Let's see you sharpen owner 2x St 41s. Ha ha. Let me know what hooks u like. I have tried and every time I do it I have remember to replace em asap....The chem sharpened hooks use chemicals to create the sharp tip...when u touch em up you create a new exposed tip virtually every time.

Edited by bigpoppabass

I just use a file and touch up the tips a bit. Never worried about wether or not the hooks were chemically sharpened or anything like that. As long as it's got a good point and it's not been bent out too far I just keep using them. Actually, I don't usually like a super fine point on my hooks because the tips tend to roll over too easy and a rolled tip is worse than a slightly dull tip. If you're a guy who likes to just lean into the fish to set the hook them maybe a fine tip is the best way to go. If you like to slam the hook set home hard like I do then a less fine point will work well. Never had too much of an issue with file sharpened hooks. I might change the trebles out on hard baits once a year. Twice if they're getting a lot of use.

Let's see you sharpen owner 2x St 41s. Ha ha. Let me know what hooks u like. I have tried and every time I do it I have remember to replace em asap....The chem sharpened hooks use chemicals to create the sharp tip...when u touch em up you create a new exposed tip virtually every time.

Re-read what I wrote.  Owner hooks with the Cutting Point (like ST-41s)  take some extra care because of the complex structure of the tip.  I re-sharpen these when they get dull but it is not as easy as a cone point.  You need a light touch and a diamond hone.  But yes I have been re-sharpening the ST-41s for years.