Glidebait Set up

Nathan14b

Hi, trying to get into the glidebait game. I’ve been a member of bass resource for a little over a year, but looking for some expertise in this area. Talking to a local angler at a fishing store in Minnesota about glidebaits and he recommended to find a swimbait forum hence now I’m here. So I’m a bank angler simply because recently graduating from college and a boat isn’t a priority. Looking for a glidebait rod, ideally not throwing baits over 2oz, I have a couple S-Wavers 168, 120 and a Gantteral jr. What I’m trying to find is a rod that’s manageable from the bank nothing longer than 7’6. The reel I’m thinking of is the Curado K in 6:2:1. Any thoughts? Willing to adjust if necessary. Just starting to do some offseason planning as winter is right around the corner. Thanks.

Just curious as to why you want to stay under 7'6"? I think most guys on here will agree that they didn't stay in the less than 2 oz category for long. Most upsize very quickly. It's better to throw a smaller bait on over powered rod then throw a bigger bait on an underpowered rod.

If your planning on sticking to smaller swimbaits (<4oz) my votes also for the 795. Its light weight and really parabolic so even a noob like me can keep them pinned with those treble hooked baits.

Guess I’ve always liked rods that are under 7’6 and don’t see why rods need to be so long but that’s me. My frogging rod is 7’6 and I can hardly stand it when frogging from the bank. Maybe I’m looking at this through the wrong lense. So even with a 795 dobyns ppl still feel comfortable from the bank.

I’ve been eyeing the 7’4 Zillion since I found lol!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_Zillion_Swimbait_Rods/descpage-ZILS.html

Guess I’ve always liked rods that are under 7’6 and don’t see why rods need to be so long but that’s me. My frogging rod is 7’6 and I can hardly stand it when frogging from the bank.

Whole different ball game.  You work a frog with the rod, you work a glide with the reel. 

Just go ahead and get the 795.  You're either gonna buy it now or buy it later when you want to upsize your lures.

Edited by HelpMePickABobber

If having a shorter and storable rod is the goal there's a company called Sakura that makes 7'4" 2 piece rods in the heavy-xheavy range I got one on eBay and it has a decently long handle that makes casting easy and they aren't too expensive $150ish if I remember right. They aren't the perfect choice but they are convenient. I believe it's the Sakura Sportism Neo in 7'4"XH

Well good news is there’s plenty of time to decide. Season is about over, guess I just need to chill out on looking for a rod. This is why style of fishing that Id like to be proficient in.

I don’t fish that area a lot, mostly east metro. Smaller lakes where people least suspect bigger fish. My biggest two came from St. Anothony and Roseville areas. Lost some nicer fish earlier this year but was all worth it.